Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed new rear leaf springs that are 3 inchs taller (re-arhed) over stock!! I also installed new Rear shock mounts and U-Bolts as well as new 57 rear leaf Shackles. The problem I am having is the leaf are bottoming out against the Body and not hanging do as a leaf spring should!! What did I do wrong?? I can see that I installed the side with the bolts in the wrong side (The Nuts should be facing the Outside of the body not inside), but that would not stop it from spinning and riding up against the body would it??? Anyone else ever encounter this??

The other side is worse s it is up against the Gas Filler tube. Since on side is up aginst the body and one against the Gas filler tube I am also sitting at a slant in he rear!

Before someone says it the Curve Part of the Shackle was facing to the front but it now faces to the rear since is up against he body!! UGH I have no idea!!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
The shackles are just flipped over. You need to jack up the frame with the shocks disconnected. Use a pry bar to rotate the shackle around until it hangs down under the shackle bracket. The weight of the car will hold it in place.

By the way, the shackles go in from the inside out. The nuts will probably hit the frame the way they are. http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/4-4.gif

·
Registered
539 Posts
it looks like the shackles are basically upside down. the springeye is supposed to be lower than the eye of the frame mount. Jack the car up by the frame in front of the spring mount and take a long prybar and stick it up between the end of the spring and the frame mount at the rear and pull toward the rear of the car. this should flip the spring to the proper position. USE EXTREME CAUTION because the spring will be fighting you for the first half of this procedure but after the spring passes halfway it will be in a hurry to go the rest of the way. watch your fingers!

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
You need to flip the spring and shackle.

Jack the car up and support it with jackstands under the frame near the front of the rear spring. Have the tires just touching the floor.

Put a piece of pipe, tubing, flat stock about 2-1/2' -3' long in the area between the spring and mount. It needs to be long enough to have leverage and short enough to clear the floor or other obstacles. Rotate the bar to put the shackles in the right position. Once the spring flips, have a jack under the axle housing to load the spring a bit to keep it from flipping back.

You may need a delicate balance between the bar length, height you jack the car, etc. to get this done.

This is a problem created by arching a stock length spring too much. You might have been better off if the spring had been made a little longer than stock. But too long and you have different problems.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
This happens to me to, just do the pry bar thing like the others said. But before you do, loosen the nuts so the bushings don't wrap around in the spring and tear themselves up. :anim_25:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the exact same problem. My car was sitting too low and I think someone put heat on my springs to lower the car. I also ordered a set of 3" rise springs. They are advertised to be 58 inches long, but thats measuring the curved part. if you measure bolt center to bolt center, they are 54 1/8".
the chevy springs I took off were 55 5/8' center to center.

These springs are too short and the hangers are reversing and pointing up instead of down. Its beating the bottom out of my car. I called the vendor and he said to get a floor jack and use a porta power and pry bar to make the spring cam over. He says the weight of the car will make the springs stay in place.
My question is, what happens when you jack the car up. I'll bet the springs cam back the wrong way.

I can't think of a faster way to lose your 2 front teeth.

I'm getting desperate, and I'm thinking about using the top leaf from my old spring and putting the other leaves under it.

I don't think this vendor is interested in refunds.

I also think we bought these springs from the same vendor.

·
26,423 Posts
Good point Auggie. You shouldn't tighten any of the bushings until the full weight of the car is on the suspension.

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
acardon is right about the shackle nuts. You need to swap the shackles side to side.

But you have the curved part of the shackle in the right orientation.

·
26,423 Posts
They are advertised to be 58 inches long, but thats measuring the curved part. if you measure bolt center to bolt center, they are 54 1/8".
the chevy springs I took off were 55 5/8' center to center.

My question is, what happens when you jack the car up. I'll bet the springs cam back the wrong way.
You have to measure a spring along the curve of the spring. The amount the spring sags will change the length straight from eye to eye. The frame was disigned for a certain length spring to prevent it from hitting the shackle hanger when it's loaded down and flattens out.
The shock should prevent the shackle from flipping back over when it's jacked up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK, I was so excited to see someone else with the exact problem, I wrote a book on what was happening to me. By the time I posted 7 other people had answered the question. I'll print all the suggestions, and see if I can get it working.

I still wonder what will happen if you jack the car up by the frame, will the shackles pop back up.

The vendor says the shocks will keep the shackles in place, but I have air shocks, so I don't really know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You have to measure a spring along the curve of the spring. The amount the spring sags will change the length straight from eye to eye. The frame was disigned for a certain length spring to prevent it from hitting the shackle hanger when it's loaded down and flattens out.
The shock should prevent the shackle from flipping back over when it's jacked up.
Thats what the vendor said. I measured the springs along the curve and the 3" rise spring is about 1/2" longer than the stock chevy spring.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks all...Looks like I will flip the Shackle first so the Nuts are on the outside (Will do that if the bolts hit the frame, if not I will leave it as it will be OK either way) Well.... so long as the nuts do not hit the frame!!

I just looked and I can leave the Nuts where they are, Facing the inside as there will be about 1/2 inch clearance between the nut and the frame once I flip the Spring ove on both sides.

Thanks for everyones reply. Looks like you all helped a couple of us at the very least. Will try and do this over the weekend!!! Was a relief to know that it was not something way, way, bad! LOL Hummmm,,,,, bet this will also help my ride quality in the rear as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks all...Looks like I will flip the Shackle first so the Nuts are on the outside (Will do that if the bolts hit the frame, if not I will leave it as it will be OK either way) Well.... so long as the nuts do not hit the frame!!

I just looked and I can leave the Nuts where they are, Facing the inside as there will be about 1/2 inch clearance between the nut and the frame once I flip the Spring ove on both sides.

Thanks for everyones reply. Looks like you all helped a couple of us at the very least. Will try and do this over the weekend!!! Was a relief to know that it was not something way, way, bad! LOL Hummmm,,,,, bet this will also help my ride quality in the rear as well.
Be careful, anytime someone brings out a prybar, bad things can happen.
we will work on mine tomorrow night. Did your springs come from Michigan?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be careful, anytime someone brings out a prybar, bad things can happen.
we will work on mine tomorrow night. Did your springs come from Michigan?
I got them from Ebay, McVeighs Truck Springs, MI. 3 inch over stock radias. Pretty sweet price of only 159 a set which includes new bushings front and rear.

Drop a line back here if all went well (or even if not).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got them from Ebay, McVeighs Truck Springs, MI. 3 inch over stock radias. Pretty sweet price of only 159 a set which includes new bushings front and rear.

Drop a line back here if all went well (or even if not).
I'll stay in touch, but I can't do the springs tonight. We bought from the same company, The quality looks good, I'm hoping they don't jack the rear up too much.
Its all a guessing game on these old cars.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I had the time this evening and used a large Crow Bar and after I undid the Shocks fom the Body I pryed and pryed and I got each Leaf Shackle to be about Verticle to the ground. They do not bend all the way back. However I put back in the Gas Shocks and took it for a drive. Man what a diference in ride quality!!! The rear now takes a bump instead of jarring against the body. I did notice that I lost some height in the rear (I wanted mine to be a little taller than most as I am doing a Gasser). So I took out the Gas shocks and re-installed a new set of Gabril HiJackers I had. Pumped about 50 Lbs of air into them. I then went to a cruise night (Casterville, TX) which is about a 60 mile round trip for me. The Suspension felt great. Not a harsh ride like I was getting..Pretty Smooth ride actually!! I very happy with the new High Riding Suspension and the Overall Ride Quality!!!! Wooohoooo.. Thanks for the info all!!!

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted out, This is a comon problem and somebody probably should make a sticky for it, as it will come up again in a month or two. You will also notice the springs settling a bit as the shackles, bushings and springs wear in a little. You will also notice that the shackles will point more to the rear. I would guess it will drop about an inch after 6 months or so.
Gary

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I had the time this evening and used a large Crow Bar and after I undid the Shocks fom the Body I pryed and pryed and I got each Leaf Shackle to be about Verticle to the ground. They do not bend all the way back. However I put back in the Gas Shocks and took it for a drive. Man what a diference in ride quality!!! The rear now takes a bump instead of jarring against the body. I did notice that I lost some height in the rear (I wanted mine to be a little taller than most as I am doing a Gasser). So I took out the Gas shocks and re-installed a new set of Gabril HiJackers I had. Pumped about 50 Lbs of air into them. I then went to a cruise night (Casterville, TX) which is about a 60 mile round trip for me. The Suspension felt great. Not a harsh ride like I was getting..Pretty Smooth ride actually!! I very happy with the new High Riding Suspension and the Overall Ride Quality!!!! Wooohoooo.. Thanks for the info all!!!
Glad to see you are happy. Tonight we got mine all re-aligned and everything looks good. I have air shocks on the rear and my mechanic says they are too long and will allow the spring hangers to flip back up if I lift the car by the frame. I was going to ask you what shocks you use, but it seems you like the air shocks. I think I will try the air shocks and see if they will work.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
One More Time -

Again - That's why I love this site!! With all these "Internet TriFiver's" - we've got all the bases covered. You guys are AWESOME!!:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I need to lift my rear end up 2". You mentioned you lost a little height. Does the rear end still sit up 2" to 3" higher? I installed air shocks this weekend but they made my ride too rough. Leaning towards new springs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts