Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new 5 leaf-leaf springs on my 57 when i rebuilt it this time. It started out great. But it has settled about 3" in the past year or so. I am thinking about having these re-arched instead of buying another new set. Anybody have a good reason not to re-arch these over buying new springs?
Terry
Here is an older shot:

More recent shot, now covering the top edge of trim ring:

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,553 Posts
Terry I had good luck with rearching springs years ago when I did the 4x4 truck thing . Personally, I love the way your car sits now though. just my 2 cents :bowtier:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Terry, it seems like a constant problem for guys that want the stance a little raked. I know that many have re-arched the springs and they seem to stay put afterwards and not settle. There are no adverse affects that I know of. Somebody will probably chime in and prove me wrong though. I guess I like the rear up a little too. By the way, I think your '57 is cool. I dig the yellow paint. Looks great!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I had my rear springs re-arched 18 years ago and they stayed right where they were when I got them back. If I remember correctly it cost me $100, but that could be because I bought new springs and I didn't like them so I had my old ones re-arched by the same place and they might have over charged me.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I had my rear springs re-arched 18 years ago and they stayed right where they were when I got them back. If I remember correctly it cost me $100, but that could be because I bought new springs and I didn't like them so I had my old ones re-arched by the same place and they might have over charged me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
IMHO, I would not touch the rear springs.

I'd cut a coil in the front (or go with dropped spindles) to drop the front 2".

I think then you'd have the rake and it wouldn't have an ungainly stance. The relationship between the body, wheels/tires and the ground is crucial. If the body is way up there, being as large as it is, it looks out of proportion. As a stork looks, big body perched on thin legs.

I'm a graphic designer with 2 beers in him so I get a little "arty" about all this.

As I said, it just my opinion.:anim_25:

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I said, it just my opinion
Personally i don`t care for the lowered look. I like the "up in the rear look" for the rake i want. The front is at stock heighth and that is where i want it. Thanks for your opinion, beer fueled or not.
Terry

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hey Chevman I like your car especially the wheels under it. What size rims are you running. I have a 57 four door sedan and want to install rally wheels on my stock rear and front with disk brakes. Jim

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
In my experience all new lief springs settle in time. I never had any re-arched, so I don't know what to tell you on that one Terry. :anim_25:

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Chevman I like your car especially the wheels under it. What size rims are you running. I have a 57 four door sedan and want to install rally wheels on my stock rear and front with disk brakes. Jim
Jim i am running factory 15x7 rallys on the front, disc brake kit from CCI (now ecklers).
On the rear i am running aftermarket 15x8 rallys with 4 1/2" backspacing, stock rearend and springs in stock location.
Terry

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm beer free at the moment! LOL

I like the rake look too, my wagon is raked.

What I was saying was instead of raising the rear any more, I would drop the nose an inch (or two).

You'd still have rake, it wouldn't look overly lowered and you wouldn't have all that tire exposed.:wavey:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm beer free at the moment! LOL

I like the rake look too, my wagon is raked.

What I was saying was instead of raising the rear any more, I would drop the nose an inch (or two).

You'd still have rake, it wouldn't look overly lowered and you wouldn't have all that tire exposed.:wavey:
I am with Surfsider. Rake it by dropping the front end an inch of two. Brian:bowtieb:

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don`t like nor want the down in the front look. If i did i would have put dropped spindles on it to begin with. The front has come up some with the rear dropping. I want it to sit like it did in this pic.
Terry

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am with you Terry, I think that stance is perfect. I am paying close attention to this thread since my '57 is sagging too much for my liking in the rear end too. I am still building it and am trying to decide how to get the rear up some. It still has the original springs. I have looked at JC Whitney's "High Lift" springs and some other options. I am still trying to find the best way to raise it up to look just like yours did.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3TF i installed new 5leaf leaf springs when i rebuilt it. They sat perfect to begin with. I need to call and check with a spring co. to see how much for re-arching. New springs are running 225.-275.00 a pair now, plus shipping. I was just going to reinstall my shackles, but i found that with my angled out tailpipes that isn`t an option now.
Terry

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just talked to a spring shop that Don (acardon) told me about and they just quoted me 60.00 each to re-arch them. Sounds like i`ll be pulling the springs in a month or so.
Terry

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The shop is in Ft. Worth,Tx. They are about 90 miles from me. Was told if i`d get them there before 9:a.m. he`d have them done for me by 12:00.
Terry

1 - 20 of 30 Posts