Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the rear leaf springs on the 55.
There are 5 leaf and 4 leaf available on a lot of the classic chevy sites like Danchuk, East Coast etc.
Any suggestions on what would be best to use, I don't want the car sitting way up, but don't mind a bit of height as the front is still not that low, even though I put 2" drop springs in it.
Any suggestions would be a great help - Thanks

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I replaced my 4 leaf with 5 leaf on my 57. Rides and handles better with just a liitle more stiffness in the ride, the ride height is the same as before.
ken 57

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Your car would have come with 4 leaf from the factory... Wagons/Nomads came with 5 leaf... Both will fit your car... Later, Dave

·
Administrator
48,735 Posts
Scotty i installed 5leaf leaf springs on mine during this build and they have settled at least 3-4". Sure glad i didn`t go with the 4 leaf springs or it would look like a tail dragger. :D
Terry

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
is that 55s/w a 9 pass?
No, it's a 6 passenger. However, the original owner used to work as a mechanic for the dealership from whom it was purchased and by the time he purchased the car, he had a Pure dealership and was working as an independent mechanic which he did for many decades before retiring.

They had 4 kids and used to travel and camp with the car. I'm wondering if he didn't order the car with a more beefed up rear suspension? The springs don't appear modified.

·
Registered
374 Posts
rear springs

My 55 hardtop naturally came with 4 leaf springs. When purchased they had just been replaced with 5 leaf springs, and it rides like a lumber wagon and is not a good ride. I will replace them with the correct 4 leaf. I believe you can have a good ride and the right stance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts