Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it is time to replace the rear springs on my 56 as they appear to have lost most of their original arch. Another shoebox owner I talked to said that when he replaced the springs on his car he was disappointed as now the rear of the car sits too high in the air. I don't know whose springs he purchased but I was wondering if those of you who have replaced the your springs found this to be a problem?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
No, I noticed a rear sag and that's why I replaced mine. After putting on new 4-leaf springs it sits level like it should. I got mine from ESPO Springs n Things.

·
Administrator
49,664 Posts
I can`t say for sure because i put 5 leaf on mine but it still isn`t finished so all the weight isn`t on the springs yet. Right now it sits a little high but thats fine with me.
Terry.

1,544 Posts
springs

Way back when my 57 was my daily driver the rear end was sagging a bit so I removed the leaf springs took them apart and rearched them myself with a couple pieces of 4x4 and a big hammer, oh don't forget the earplugs, the first time around I arched them too much and the ass end stuck up like a skunk getting ready to spray, back to the shop but you can get just the stance you want and that was at least ten years ago and it didn't cost a dime, actually I did them at work so I got paid while doing the job.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I replaced my dearched 4 leaf springs with 5 leaf...It sits a little high, so I added 1"owering blocks...But the 5 leaf springs really stiffened up the suspension...One of these days I am going to crawl under there and remove one leaf to soften it up and lower it a little more...
4 leaf springs came on sedans and hardtops; 5 leafs came on wagons, police and taxi and commercial applications.
My suggestion would be to stay with 4 leaf springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts