Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the truck tore down as far as it can go (pics coming soon). Looking at putting gears in the rear end. It has 4.10s so when those come out, going to get the springs in and looking around at what is the best set up that not only keeps the springs and lowers it but not too much that makes its impossible to drive. Im open to different ideas of springs+shackles+axle flip or any other combination. In addition, the front end is next Thanks for the help

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's stock springs and u just flipped the axle? What did that entail process wise? I sold the tunnel ram, got some money towards the rear end and just wanna do it right. I want it low but not too low to where we can't drive it nor a ton of money tied up in it. Did u do shackles or anything else.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the previous owner (my dad) informed me today that this rear end not only has 4.10 gears but that the case and axles are bad... so if this 91 14 bolt I have is the same width we may try to make it work... any advice on how to make it fit and ride a bit lower? I really appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
No, I don't know anything about 14 bolt. and leaned on the guys here about the direction I would take on what I have.

I picked up two rears a 8.2 and a 8.5. the 8.2 is in the truck now, mostly because it has been completely rebuilt, and already had the seats on it. I am going to take my time to rebuild the other with disc brakes.

I am sure someone here can address that concern for you. Lots of gear heads and builders.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Yea I cracked open the 14 bolt and if my math is right the ring gear has 41 teeth and the pinion has 12 so that puts it at 3.41 gear ratio. That's more conducive to driving on the freeway than 4.10s. Furthermore, with tires both axles are 6 feet wide. From back plate to back plate, the 57 axle is a hair over 56". The 14 bolt is an inch shorter. I don't see how it couldn't fit. Anyone have some suggestions? I'm thinking measure the old axle and transpose that to the new axle while taking in account the difference of width and it should work. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm lucky enough to live in Vegas and Tucker's is right up the street from my shop. Called them and great service!! The tech said to get a set of perches and transpose the measurements and angles to new axle weld them up and your good to go so ill be getthing those and with the fourth coming that long weekend ill do it maybe post a write up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts