Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
silly question; how do ya get the gas cap to seal on my `57? for a while after i fill it, got gas all over the tail light area. new cap, plus i put a piece of riubber inside the cap for a tighter seal. signed, puzzled.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Is the gas expanding in this heat ? if you "overfill" the tank this will happen sometimes ,,did it happen in the cooler weather ? try keeping it at 3/4 of a tank and see what happens -----:cool:

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts
1957 gas cap should have a air vent in it so pressure shouldn`t be a problem. Just don`t fill it all the way to the brim. The baffle may help you some if you install on of them in the neck.
Terry

·
Registered
129 Posts
I put one of the check valves in the hose connections between the 2 fill pipes going to the tank. It has prevented gas splashing back out when you fill the tank.
Several of the suppliers offer them.

Tom

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I put one of the check valves in the hose connections between the 2 fill pipes going to the tank. It has prevented gas splashing back out when you fill the tank.
Several of the suppliers offer them.

Tom
I have one of those in my 56 and it works pretty good too:D Got mine at Ecklers... Later, Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
The air vent in the 57 filler tube is a "closed loop" kind of thing - it allows the fuel to flow down the tube without "burping", much like the handle on a milk jug. I wouldn't expect it to prevent pressure buildup. A little oil on the gasket material in the cap might help it keep a better seal.
Don

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts
The air vent in the 57 filler tube is a "closed loop" kind of thing - it allows the fuel to flow down the tube without "burping", much like the handle on a milk jug. I wouldn't expect it to prevent pressure buildup.
That part is true, but on a 57 it is supposed to have a vented cap that does prevent pressure. If not the gas tank will buckle. I learned that one by first hand experience.
Terry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts