Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am switching to an older style distributor with a smaller cap, Then I got a new MSD Coil and it stated that if you have a distributor with points you needed a Ballast resister, rated at .8 ohm. So then I figured well I am updating to an electronic system with the pertronix 1181 unit so did the need for a ballist resister still exsisit.

So I was going to install a pertronix 1181

Well i called pertronix after reading the instructions on the 1181 it states that you must run a ballast resister rated at .7 ohms and that if you leave the ing key on for more than 30 seconds it could burn up the unit.

I then found out that they have a new model 91181 that solves these problems, that you do not need to run a ballist resister and that leaving the key on does not affect the device it has a automatic shut off.
Features

Ignitor II systems develop up to 4 times more energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM than standard ignition systems. High RPM performance is improved when used with the Flame-Thrower II super low resistance (0.6 ohms) 45,000 volt coil.

• Adaptive dwell maintains peak energy throughout the entire RPM range, reducing misfires while improving engine performance.
  • Develops on average 4 times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and 2 times more available plug voltage.
  • Peak current level is reached just prior to spark for maximum energy without the heat build-up, increasing coil and module life.
  • Adjusts spark timing at higher RPMs to compensate for the inherent electronic delay.
  • Senses startup and develops more energy for quicker, easier starting. Built in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage.
Just thought that some of you might want to know this info.

Otis:)

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
Thanks Otis....Good info for all for sure. :)

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
What is a distributor? :sign0020:just a little Ls humor. Sounds like a good deal for the points group.
Jim

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I've been running a Pertronix in my 327 for almost 10 years now with no known problems... Gonna take a wait-n-see how the new one works before I switch... Thanks for the up date Otis...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Otis, the title to your thread show that all of your gray matter is still working ! ! ! Thank goodness we need you to keep learning stuff and keep your TriFive family going.

So did you order the distributor?

Randy FC

·
Administrator
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I got the distributor, new cap , new wires, and the new model 91181 all ordered.

otis:)

·
Registered
66,304 Posts
thanks for info otis. :five:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts