Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, two problems with my left turn signal indicator.

First, the bulb socket doesn't want to stay in the back of the gauge cluster, the push fit is just a bit loose so it seems to wobble out often. Any tips for making it fit a bit more firmly? I didn't want to bend the tangs out too much in fear of breaking it.

Second, though the bulb has been changed twice it doesn't blink. Outside front and rear does mostly, but it is a bit flaky and sometimes doesn't come on without a bit of wiggling the lever. I will be replacing the turn signal switch in the column soon - could the problem originate there?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
Hi all, two problems with my left turn signal indicator.

First, the bulb socket doesn't want to stay in the back of the gauge cluster, the push fit is just a bit loose so it seems to wobble out often. Any tips for making it fit a bit more firmly? I didn't want to bend the tangs out too much in fear of breaking it.

Second, though the bulb has been changed twice it doesn't blink. Outside front and rear does mostly, but it is a bit flaky and sometimes doesn't come on without a bit of wiggling the lever. I will be replacing the turn signal switch in the column soon - could the problem originate there?
The tangs being loose on the bulb socket could be part of the blinking proble. The bulb is grounded through the tangs and blinking depends on the amount of load (all 3 bulbs working) to blink. The indicator socket is no good like it is. If the tangs break when bent, it needed replacing anyway. :) I don't think they will break. Also, if the front or rear signals have a bad ground, they can be intermittent.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tangs are solid Don, it just seems like the hole in the back of the cluster is slightly large. It will stay there until I hit a big bump!

I was thinking of some way to wrap it or beef up the tangs a little to keep it there. The front and rear outside work when it works - sometimes I get nothing on left turn activation, but most times it works. Sometimes 2 blinks then stops, etc. But the inside never blinks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the bulb socket, I think I will fold a small one inch or less length of 1/8 wide spring steel 180 and slip that over the edge of the cluster hole - that will give enough resistance when the socket is pushed in to keep it there.

Then I will chase the grounds,and after that the turn signal switch. Couldn't be the flasher could it? Unlikely.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
Got tired of mine falling out.....So, I replaced all the sockets with ones from East Coast Chevy

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to bend the curved tangs on the socket enough to make it solid. Still no left inside blinker - drives me nuts. I've put enough new bulbs in there to know it's not the bulb.

I wonder if it is in the turn signal switch. Outside front and back left turn signals work most of the time but sometimes not. All other things work fine, parking lights, brake lights, right turn signal, high beams.

Time to collect everything I need to rebuild the column mast guts. I have a turn signal switch already.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
I managed to bend the curved tangs on the socket enough to make it solid. Still no left inside blinker - drives me nuts. I've put enough new bulbs in there to know it's not the bulb.

I wonder if it is in the turn signal switch. Outside front and back left turn signals work most of the time but sometimes not. All other things work fine, parking lights, brake lights, right turn signal, high beams.

Time to collect everything I need to rebuild the column mast guts. I have a turn signal switch already.
The turn indicator is wired into the front turn signal wire at the steering column connector. Check the light blue wires at the connector. .... http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-24.gif

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will do that but I'm no electrical pro. How do I do that Don? I have a voltmeter so I'm one step ahead.

Do I pull the light blue wire on the turn signal switch side and check it for output with the blinker going? Or maybe I can check on the output side connector? Maybe I can sneak the probe of the voltmeter into the connector and ground the other probe?

Another hundred years of this and I'll be half good at electrical.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
For the bulb socket, I think I will fold a small one inch or less length of 1/8 wide spring steel 180 and slip that over the edge of the cluster hole - that will give enough resistance when the socket is pushed in to keep it there.

Then I will chase the grounds,and after that the turn signal switch. Couldn't be the flasher could it? Unlikely.
No. What happens if that piece slips and shorts things out?

You probably don't have to bend the tang very much to keep it in place. Just bend it a little at a time, until it fits securely.

As mentioned, the flasher is designed to work with all 3 bulbs in place. The tangs are the required ground for the bulb in the dash.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. What happens if that piece slips and shorts things out?

You probably don't have to bend the tang very much to keep it in place. Just bend it a little at a time, until it fits securely.

As mentioned, the flasher is designed to work with all 3 bulbs in place. The tangs are the required ground for the bulb in the dash.
I wised up and bent the tangs - didn't take much. They are in no danger of breaking, those sockets are pretty strong. Besides, there is a tube that runs directly from the cluster back hole out to the indicator lens, so that prevented me from doing anything stupid.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
You're already getting good advice here.
This is in regard to your dash left turn signal indicator.
Take a test light and wrap electrical tape around the
probe of it with just the tip showing so that you don't
accidently short the circuit when pressing the probe
against the hot feed inside the indicator light socket,
after you've grounded the test light of course somewhere
on the car.If the test light begins flashing,and your bulbs
were good,it will tell you that the contact point to the
bulb in the socket isn't.

When your left outside flashers quit on you,do they both
quit front and rear at the same time?Do the park lights on the
left continue to work when these fail?:anim_25:

Doug