Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate posting this, especially since this location is so close to my house, but, this past Saturday's cruise night really stunk for me. It was at Fox Run Shopping Ctr. in Bear DE, and I swear that they could have filmed a new '50s horror movie off of it, called "Attack of the Grumpy Old Men".

Example 1: very cool 40's Ford showed up, like a gunmetal gray color. I had no memory of seeing it before, so I went over to go talk to the guy. The car had modded headlights in it that looked like they were from a newer Mercedes or something. I walked over and said "nice car!" He said thanks. I said, jokingly (and obvious about it), that those sure don't look like original headlights! I was expecting a laugh and some banter in kind.. Instead, I get, "they aren't." I was like uh, ok. So then I asked if the person was taking their car to the big event on Sunday in northern DE (that I was not going to). I got a flat "NO". I was like whatever and moved on.

Example 2: I approach a very nicely done '69 El Camino. Owner of car is sitting there, IN his car.. Again, I told them nice car, they said thanks- the car was copper in color, and I told them it was a neat color. He said it's a Vette color. I asked "Daytona Sunset?" as that is a popular Vette color. He kind of grumbled and said no, it's an older one than that, then proceeded to get mad at himself because he couldn't remember the name. This all proceeded while he continued to sit in his car. I even pointed out that I had my Panel there, that seemed to make no difference.

The turnout was also so-so, and I'd even passed other old cars on the way to it that weren't even present. It just really bummed me out. We've had alot of local shows that have been killed off by the "tuners" annoying presenters of the shows, and I just feel like this location is also starting to be affected. I have other shows that I get to go to where the atmosphere is much different, and I don't really want to stop going to this one altogether, but wow. What is wrong with these dudes anymore??

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Some people are just unpleasant. It doesn’t much matter if you share a love for cars- if they are unpleasant to be around, it’s not worth being around them. As for the tuners? Mostly it’s just a generational thing. Had I been born a few decades later, I might well be posting in a Honda forum. Sure- some of them are stupid and annoying (as I was, at one point). And some of the cars seem silly (though I admit there are several imports that I really like). But at the end of the day, is that 6” coffee can exhaust on a civic that much different from putting glass packs on the 307 powered station wagon you inherited from your grandma?😂
Bummer that you ran into some jerks. Just don’t let them affect the joy you get from your own car.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was looking for your truck at Hagley. Lots of cars and people sitting around.
Hope to be at Concord Mall Saturday.
Hey Bill,

I hate saying this, but I'm not really a huge fan of Hagley's event. It's neat to do once in a while, but I'd rather see a parking lot full of cars that people are actually working on themselves (or have at least tried to), than a sea of trailer queens that only come out once a year for that single event, and are maintained by somebody else, lol.

Not to mention you are charged to look at that stuff.

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,637 Posts
That's too bad. Personally, I enjoy talking to people about our cars, as well as their cars. I especially enjoy talking to visitors at the hanger about our WWII A26 bomber. Sometimes, I probably go overboard----------------but I get excited and enthusiastic about it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's too bad. Personally, I enjoy talking to people about our cars, as well as their cars. I especially enjoy talking to visitors at the hanger about our WWII A26 bomber. Sometimes, I probably go overboard----------------but I get excited and enthusiastic about it.
That's me as well! Please drive to a Delaware cruise! XD

·
Premium Member
13,270 Posts
I run into that more often then I like. Its like they are doing me a favor with their presense speaking to me and my questions are a big bother to them. I have absolutly no time for it. I also don't get mad about it either. It lets me know exactly who to spend my precious time with and who not to bother with. Me, I am only interested in the good guys. Good natured, jovial, generous, pleasant, fun. Life is just too darn short to waste any time whatsoever with anyone who is miserable, a jerk as Robert describes it, lol, or a braggart.

By the way, Bill Scott is one of the good guys!

also, not sure how far up from Delaware you are willing to drive, but there are two little crusies, shows, get togethers at Rose Tree Park in October and November. I have to check with Bill and Beachcomber to see if either or both are going. Might drag the 57 out of the garage and meet up with them if they are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It never occurred to me that location may have something to do with it. Most often my experience is similar, which is why it is so rare for me to go to a car show. And I agree, I've seen enough shiny Camaros, thanks.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If I am being polite and a person acts like a jerk back at me, I ask them "Is it easier to be a jerk? Because you sure do make it look easy." I walk away, spreading the joy that is to meet me.
I ask them if they have always been an a** or is it something new they are trying.

I pretty much go to a car show to talk to others. I used to just roam around and look a lot, but now I try to strike up a conversation with pretty much anyone about pretty much anything. Hopefully the art of conversation is not getting lost. Maybe we need to put our cell numbers on the windshield so we can all text each other during the car show.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Car shows are tough these days. As you noted, a lot of people don't want to talk to others about their car. Which makes me wonder why they're there in the first place. About a month ago we had a nice little show here in Laramie, WY. I'd never seen one of the new C8's in person, but there were two there. I was oggling this nice silver one when the owner came up and was taking the top off. I complimented his car and asked him how he liked driving it, because I am contemplating putting in an order for one. He looked at me and didn't say a word...just completely ignored me. Some vette guys are like this...I know that well having grown up with a C2 (that is now in my garage). I just don't understand why people bother attending a car show to just snub the people there who want to talk about your car.

On the other hand, there are always people at shows who touch, let their kids grab, and let their dogs jump up on cars. Which is why I don't take my cars to car shows, but if I'm ever out and about in my '56, I'll talk someone's ear off about it if asked. Same with the '67 Corvette.

So it's a two sided affair.

·
Registered
216 Posts
...makes me wonder why they're there in the first place... I just don't understand why people bother attending a car show to just snub the people there who want to talk about your car.
^^
This. Why bother entering your car in a show if you're just going to be a douche-canoe? Is it for the potential glory of winning a prize? Sorry, while I think a C8 is an awesome machine, yer brand new stock C8 isn't going to win best of show. Even if it is a ZR-1. Especially if there's a well-presented '33 Plymouth in attendance. 😁 Isn't the whole reason for entering or attending a local car show to chat about cars?

·
Premium Member
57 210 post dressed as a Bel Air
948 Posts
The grumps and the snobs you guys have mentioned are the main reason I don't do shows. Sometimes I judged by people because I always wear blue jeans and a tee shirt plus hiking boots. Thats who I am and how I dress. It's a rural area and I dress for it. You never know when you may need to climb a barbed wire fence or cut through a briar patch because you spotted a tail fin or a profile that demands a closer look. I ask before I intrude. I can usually make conversation with most anyone if they're willing. It sometimes amuses me to get that "down the nose" look from some people. I just assume they have little of value to offer and move on. Sometimes I feel sorry for them because their life must be pretty shallow if they won't even invest a few words with someone who shares the same interest. Ah well, no loss.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
One thing that's always true is, there are many different people,. with many different personalities.
There is a $Mustang$ club around where I live. The dollar sign is because some of them live in a gated community. They usually attend the shows and cruise-ins in the area. Now I don't give o rats butt about any mustangs but, if you ask any of them a question about their car, they look at you like why are you talking to me.
I wouldn't let a couple people who may not be the most friendly/engaging ruin a good time at a show/cruise-in.
Todd

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Cruised up to a show on Saturday at the Classic Auto mall in Morgantown Hosted by Chariots of Fire. They do a pretty good show, lots of cars, good stuff and a handful of Tri fives. It was a great day everybody there was nice easy to talk to and I always make a new friend and or learn something. Can you imagine that. Yea have experienced some "grumpy old dudes" at times, but just smile and move on.
FYI they are having another on Oct 15th and advertising over a 100 trophies if you're into that. I'm not, I just donate to the cause. The classic auto mall is cool too. you can tour it for free that day. If you haven't yet check the website out. Pretty cool stuff. you can view all the cars in detail. They have a dozen or so tri-fives listed. Easy to get to.
and Yes Mike, Drag Six Fun Run Guy I do plan to cruise over to the Salute the Troops on the 5th of November. Always a great show. I'll give you and Bill a heads up when it gets closer.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
My take.. There's 1 AH in every pr of pants. Sometimes there's 2.
And at my age, my tolerance for idiots is fast declining.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts