Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have been there and had the same thing done to me. When I take my '55 to a show, I will usually sit to the rear and watch the people. I ALWAYS talk to the people and answer any question they may have. When I leave the show, I usually feel good about the show and the people that took an interest in my car. And it doesn't cost one red cent to be nice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Too bad but it seems like in N.Y. there are more AH’s lately and it seems like it more of what I paid someone else to do to my car than what I busted my butt to do myself and this is how I did it. I respect anyone’s car that they have worked on and are proud of it. It doesn’t matter to me what kind of car or style it is. I live 5 miles from Connecticut about an hour and a half north of N.Y.C. When I go to a Connecticut show it’s a more down to earth feel. Most people are friendly and will talk nonstop about their rides.

·
Registered
1957 Chevy Stepside 350cu 3spd 12 bolt 3:73 Yukon posi
25 Posts
I ask them if they have always been an a** or is it something new they are trying.

I pretty much go to a car show to talk to others. I used to just roam around and look a lot, but now I try to strike up a conversation with pretty much anyone about pretty much anything. Hopefully the art of conversation is not getting lost. Maybe we need to put our cell numbers on the windshield so we can all text each other during the car show.
I believe you've hit the nail on the head. So many people are now so wrapped up in their cell phones they are turning into social hermits. The art of conversation seems to be lost in electronic wasteland.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I really hate posting this, especially since this location is so close to my house, but, this past Saturday's cruise night really stunk for me. It was at Fox Run Shopping Ctr. in Bear DE, and I swear that they could have filmed a new '50s horror movie off of it, called "Attack of the Grumpy Old Men".

Example 1: very cool 40's Ford showed up, like a gunmetal gray color. I had no memory of seeing it before, so I went over to go talk to the guy. The car had modded headlights in it that looked like they were from a newer Mercedes or something. I walked over and said "nice car!" He said thanks. I said, jokingly (and obvious about it), that those sure don't look like original headlights! I was expecting a laugh and some banter in kind.. Instead, I get, "they aren't." I was like uh, ok. So then I asked if the person was taking their car to the big event on Sunday in northern DE (that I was not going to). I got a flat "NO". I was like whatever and moved on.

Example 2: I approach a very nicely done '69 El Camino. Owner of car is sitting there, IN his car.. Again, I told them nice car, they said thanks- the car was copper in color, and I told them it was a neat color. He said it's a Vette color. I asked "Daytona Sunset?" as that is a popular Vette color. He kind of grumbled and said no, it's an older one than that, then proceeded to get mad at himself because he couldn't remember the name. This all proceeded while he continued to sit in his car. I even pointed out that I had my Panel there, that seemed to make no difference.

The turnout was also so-so, and I'd even passed other old cars on the way to it that weren't even present. It just really bummed me out. We've had alot of local shows that have been killed off by the "tuners" annoying presenters of the shows, and I just feel like this location is also starting to be affected. I have other shows that I get to go to where the atmosphere is much different, and I don't really want to stop going to this one altogether, but wow. What is wrong with these dudes anymore??
I would not feel too bad, those same folks are at every rod/car hangout or show.
They are easy to detect because it is the same bunch.
I have made the street rod scene are here for about 45 years,
very few I even have a conversation with.
Most are no worth the time.
Its been like that for years, so I make a game out of it to see which ah's show up.
I will admit what gets me is if another 5-6-7 shows up you would surely think they would want to talk,
but I have found most don't know squat about 5-6-7's anyway, they just bought it like that.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts