Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

*Let the controvesy continue

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  57R’villeHT 
#1 ·
Were 4-speeds available for sedans in 1957?

This May 1957 Chevrolet Service Bulletin suggests it may have been intended:

(read the first sentence)

See less See more
#5 ·
I may have posted this before...
I was at Pikes Peak in 55. [Family vacation].
Gm was testing some vehicles/components.
I recall seeing a couple 56 wagons with monitoring equipment in the back.
At least 1 was a 4 speed. [I could see the floor shifter, and hear the driver shift 3 times]. They were making short climbs, and reviewing info, after each run.
Obviously, I wasn't allowed to participate!
As for the NHRA rules, you could run a 4 gear combo in the super stock classes, as long as the gears fit in a stock case.
They did, [with a TON of machine work], we did it, and won the class@ Indy.
AIRC, that was around the 65-67 time frame.
Fuel injected 57 sport coupe.

#6 ·
I do not know for sure, but 4 speed transmissions were not available the entire year on Corvettes, so my thoughts are that it would be unlikely that the passenger cars had them at all. If memory serves me right, it was not until after about VIN 2500 before you could get the 4 speed in a Corvette.

#8 ·
I agree. This has been hashed and re hashed and there is no credible evidence that you could walk into any dealer and order a 4 speed in your passenger car at any time during the production
run of 1957. Just to suggest that this one statement "approves" it doesn't change the fact that GM never had a shifter for it available. The only shifter that was available was the Corvette shifter and it
would not clear the front BENCH seat. Bucket seats were only available in the sedan delivery.Those cars that have shown up from time to time, with owners claiming to have this "rare" option have not had
parts that were universally available to ALL dealers. To make the statement that you could get anything you wanted via the dealer is another one of those falsehoods perpetrated by those that wish to
get approval of their own ideas.

I'm not going down that blind hole again.

Mikey

#9 ·
I have an old friend that claims fuel injection was only available on Corvettes and Sedan Deliveries in 57. I don't know where he got such and idea but he believes it. I just laugh at him. Has anybody else ever heard this story? He is an older guy that has been around cars most of his life and has owned a number of Corvettes.

#10 ·
I have a FACTORY brochure on the passenger car fuel injection. It clearly says available on all passenger cars. It was offered as a more fuel efficient system for gas economy! That is how GM was able to
even offer it on the passenger car line. Not enough Corvettes produced to justify the cost for the Corvette only.

Mikey

#11 ·
Note that I didn't say that 4-speeds WERE available in 1957, only that as of May 1957 Chevrolet INTENDED to make it available for both Corvettes AND passenger cars.

Obviously events and business realities dictated that the transmission wasn't available until 1958 (for passenger cars).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.