Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it all started yesterday. I ordered a full floor with braces & a full trunk with braces for my 56. I plan to drive it for the next year then do the rebuild . My plan is to picking up parts when I find a deal on them . Until then I can keep on this site and learn. what a great place for info. Thanks

· Premium Member
19,484 Posts
Well it all started yesterday. I ordered a full floor with braces & a full trunk with braces for my 56. I plan to drive it for the next year then do the rebuild . My plan is to picking up parts when I find a deal on them . Until then I can keep on this site and learn. what a great place for info. Thanks
thanks for up date and keep savings and buying parts too

· Registered
1,936 Posts
Fun City!

Glad to have you here Riverdog. Unless you get a "screamin'" deal on parts you're not ready to use, don't buy them ahead of time. It's a common mistake guys make. You end up with a lot of parts layin' around the shop that get beat-up or never used. I fell into that trap early in my build. I accumulated a bunch of parts thinking I was gonna build my car completely stock. Mid-stream I changed my mind and went the "street-rod" route. I ended up selling a bunch of parts for less than I paid for them! Just be careful and oh-yeah...keep us loaded down with pictures as you progress in your build :). As you know...we love pictures!:pics-1: JIM.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice Jim . This is my first car Build But I have built several custom Motorcycle the last one was the center fold of American iron magazine in August. I can relate to buying parts and never using then . right now i'm getting stuff like floors , wiring , chrome , glass and motor parts . Mine will never be stock it will be a hot rod for sure . When I was looking for a 56 I wanted one I could drive for a couple years and find out what I liked and what i wanted before i took the body off the frame and started . There are soo many great builds going on here on Tri Five thats is better than any manual I have ever seen .

· Administrator
50,800 Posts
The only other alternative would be to have a saving account to put the money in and then buy all the parts when ready for the build. I bought parts for several years before starting my rebuild. The only problem with that one is if a part is bad or blemished you may not catch it until the build which means it is too late to get a refund or replacement part.
Terry

· Registered
11,070 Posts
Sounds like a grand project. As a matter of curiosity, what made you decide on two floor units (front and trunk) rather than a single unit? I was certainly interested in seeing what you would decide. You will be very happy with the product regardless. I am just about done with a customer 55 Vert floor and have found no issues yet.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about the one piece floor & Trunk . After reading then talking to a friend that does a lot of work on tri fives we decided that it would work better for us to install the floor pan using the shock mounts then replace the trunk . My trunk is not that bad but it has some rust that someone patched before . About half is on the 10" side and half on the center I just wanted all new floors .

· Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,974 Posts
I agree with the others about getting parts that don't fit and then can't return them when you finally get around to using them. I have a nice looking repop rear bumper that didn't come close to fitting. It's a 500 dollar piece of "Wall Art".
Also, if you have any swap meets near by, some of the vendors will deliver parts to the swap meet (H&H for one). I saved a bundle on shipping floor pans.

· RIP 11/24/2021
68,222 Posts
hi dog. guys make some good points. i stiil like your idea of driving and enjoying it, then working on it. :anim_25:

· Registered
889 Posts
Back to the 50's is an awesome event-have gone every year since '94. Will be a couple years before my '55 makes it there, but have taken my '37 Chevrolet 2dr sedan every year since I finished it in 2000. If you decide to make it, you will have to let me know-would love to see your ride. This year Danchuk saved me alot of shipping fees by bringing a large order (with several oversized packages) to the show for free.....keep that in mind!

· Registered
1,567 Posts
I'll chime in with the others and say the single biggest mistake I made with my build was buying parts in advance, before I was ready use them. Vendors come out with new/improved items, you'll change your mind, etc. I'm on my 3rd engine since I started building the car, and it's never been run! :) Had to swap out Shockwaves (new internal sensors), ride control systems, engine gauges, countless and countless other parts.

If I hadn't bought a bunch of parts, I'd have an Art Morrison frame, but instead have a heavily modified stock frame when I almost spent as much for the AME frame fooling with this one... because I already had the parts. Just say No!

Good luck!

Charlie

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys have some very good points . I think I will stick with only buying thing that I know I will use ( like floor pans ) and other things like that .save more money and go to showes next Summer and look for show deals when the time is closer. Until then I'll drive it. This is why I like this site getting info from guys that have been there. Thanks all .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.