Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this car and several others at Hot Rods on Beale last Tuesday evening. I've seen one pic of it before but got a chance to look it over in person and talk to the "builder".
He was a gray beard like me (and a lot of us here) and was very friendly.
Seems they had a Rat Rod contest. They had a $3000 budget, and 30 days and no new parts. Then they drove them from Minnesota to Louisiana making stops along the way.
While I'm not a Rat Rod guy per-say, this one has some Big Daddy Ed Roth thing about it that intrigued me.
Say what you will, but this four door wagon was unwanted and drug out of the weeds. The frame and lower part of the body was rusted out. It was narrowed about 12 inches, the windshield/cowl moved back 16". A new (I guess they could build new, just not buy new) frame was built and well the pics tell the rest.

Radiator with fans are mounted in the rear. The scoop was made from the left-over fender remains.

Yes, the floor is made from what looks like old barn boards. The strange looking thing down the driveshaft tunnel is an old visible gas pump gauge.
And egress is through the hole in the roof. A ring of snaps with a soft top could be attached during rain, and it rained on them Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Some gauges were mounted on the back of the scoop.

Some real deal chrome reverse wheels with "cheater" slicks. The guy said it was "fun" in the rain.

This is the pic I saw on the internet. The tanker truck in the background was there too. Both built by the same team of guys.

I think it needs a grille.:D

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
That's cool.:tu:tu:tu
Looks like a Nomad from the side.
I guess entrance and exit are through the roof?
Looks like the door's welded shut.

:bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That fender air intake idea was pretty inventive. With some additional creativity, i could see that on a regular tri-5 as well.

Overall I like it.

Charlie

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I was thinking "Big Daddy Roth" too... I have no problem using a non wanted, rusted out hulk for a rat rod project...I think it turned out pretty cool... Later, Dave

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,749 Posts
Well, if you did that to a whole 57 restorable Nomad, it would be one thing....But, taking it from where it was and salvaging it makes good sense.

·
Registered
67,793 Posts
I like it, thanks for sharing. :tu

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I must say I'm surprised at the positive (so far) responses.
BUT, you got the whole story (at least as much as I know about it).
You know it wasn't a pristine or even feasibly restorable wagon that someone cut up and did this to.
Someone mentioned getting in and out. Well it is a bit of a bother, but considering it's less than 4 feet tall, it's not so bad. I would imagine it would take some practice though. And those snaps could give you a bad day if they caught just wrong....
I'm sure they won't, but I'd like to see this car smoothed up, finished out and painted nice.
Something like this:

·
Registered
899 Posts
i like it to, i think he really pulled it off. i like how it looks like the rear door is where he is sitting. but i still love shiny. jeff

·
Registered
133 Posts
Awesome! Love the rat rod look...what does he do for the cooling system?:confused0006:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts