Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the license plate bracket for the front the same as the one for the rear. I got an original 57 license plate and it doesn't match up to the holes in the trunk of my car.
A guy was supposed to send me one but I contacted him twice and he never did. I find front ones quite often on the internet, but I'm not sure if they're the same?

Brandon

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mean to be argumentative, but I know that some cars had rear license plate brackets. Since I've had this trouble, I've noticed them at car shows. Also, there had to be some type of bracket because I bought an original 1957 license plate and the holes do not line up with my trunk, and the holes in the trunk are in the stock location.

Brandon

· Premium Member
389 Posts
Here is the one on the back of my 57. I don't remember how it goes on since I've had it on for several years now, but it does bolt on from in the trunk. I had an original 57 Indiana plate on it before I changed to this one, so I know a 57 plate does fit.

Attachments

· Administrator & Tech Articles
56,486 Posts
•Original 1957 Cars Never Used This Bracket

· Premium Member
17,016 Posts
I don't mean to be argumentative, but I know that some cars had rear license plate brackets. Since I've had this trouble, I've noticed them at car shows. Also, there had to be some type of bracket because I bought an original 1957 license plate and the holes do not line up with my trunk, and the holes in the trunk are in the stock location.

Brandon
Brandon, 55 and 56 had rear plate brackets but 57 did not. Most state plates fit the standard mounting holes in the 57 trunk but some did not. The ones that did not fit required either drilling the plate or getting an aftermarket bracket, GM never made one for the 57. There is someone producing an aftermarket bracket now to fit the 57 but I'm not sure who it is. I'm sure someone will come up with the vendor info for you.

-Bruce

· Administrator
50,820 Posts
I don`t mean to be argumentative but this isn`t a license plate bracket, that is a license plate frame.
Terry

I have one of those on mine too. 57 doesn`t use a rear plate bracket.

· Administrator & Tech Articles
56,486 Posts
Brandon, 55 and 56 had rear plate brackets but 57 did not. Most state plates fit the standard mounting holes in the 57 trunk but some did not. The ones that did not fit required either drilling the plate or getting an aftermarket bracket, GM never made one for the 57. There is someone producing an aftermarket bracket now to fit the 57 but I'm not sure who it is. I'm sure someone will come up with the vendor info for you.-Bruce
CCI has a bracket for the rear of a '57...See link:http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-license-plate-bracket-rear-1957.html

· Premium Member
389 Posts
Your Right

Chevyman57, you are right that IS a frame. I guess I should think a little harder before I post something. I guess I'm getting old and my brain is getting a little fuzzy!
Have fun driving your Classic, Bill

· Registered
3,056 Posts
I have an original 1955 Alabama tag and it is Larger than modern day plates. That's why the holes don't line up.
TRINITY411
My '55 Colorado plate is the same way, slightly larger and the bolt holes in the plate are wider, can't find a frame to fit it 'cuz the bolt holes don't line up. I've noticed that even on original tri-five cars the brackets were slotted unlike many new cars today

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.