Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

We would like to do some very small repairs and clean up to our floors, is it possible to just raise up the body off the frame about 3 inches to do some cleaning? If so please let me know the proceedure. Our car's interior is removed accept for the dash and steering wheel and everythng else is still intacked we are working in our two stall garage for the winter and we don't have much room to work. Will be working on it tonight again.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dan,

It can be done but there are quite a few things that will have to be removed and or disconnected.
The steering column, brake lines, fuel line to tank, radiator hoses, battery cables, bumpers.
Depending on how much room you are looking for there might be enough slack in some of the flexible things like a rubber fuel line or maybe even the radiator hoses.

As far as lifting the body I put 4X4's along the rockers to spred out the load. I put the jack under the the middle with a jack stand in the front and back of each. I jacked a couple of inches and raised up the jack stands to keep it stable.

Steve

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
It is pretty much the same procedure to raise it a few inches as to take it off.
Jim

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys! when we are doing this I am going to replace the bolts, rubber body mounts and washers we might even put on new shocks on the front and rear since we need to disconnect anyways. Any other tips? The car will be in off the frame for a while any other precautions? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much! It may look and sound tougher then it might be, but I would like to do a nice job and Its not going anywhere - i hope to have it up and running for the spring car show and cruisin season. I don't want to go to over board and have nothing to drive next year.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Famous last words. "I don't want to go to over board" I had a friend that completely shelled out his whole house. It all started because of a new ceiling fan that blew a fuse. Yes a fuse it was an old farm house. He then had to rewire the house, The walls were plaster/cement with slats, so one thing led to another and basically he ended up living in the basement for a good year while he tore out all the walls re-did the floor plan and rewired etc.. All because of a ceiling fan. :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys and that was a funny story!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Famous last words. "I don't want to go to over board" I had a friend that completely shelled out his whole house. It all started because of a new ceiling fan that blew a fuse. Yes a fuse it was an old farm house. He then had to rewire the house, The walls were plaster/cement with slats, so one thing led to another and basically he ended up living in the basement for a good year while he tore out all the walls re-did the floor plan and rewired etc.. All because of a ceiling fan. :)
This is basically the same thing that has happened to
several of my cars. I buy these old cars with the intentions of
freshing them up and driving them. I take the wheels off to redo
the brakes and the next thing I know, I have the car completely
taken apart. But a 50 year old car has some issues that need fixing.
It`s all part of the fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts