Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get any info on adjusting the cables on Cindy's 56 wagon. I posted up above (wasn't reading the instructions) so thought I'd try to do it right down here! Can anyone help-thanks

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Just talked to Mike ( MikeKy55 ) and he said that he thought that the wagon lift gate with cables, were spring assisited that helped with the raising and closing the tailgate.

So his opinion is that the springs maybe weak or broken.

Hope this Helps

Otis

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 55 Nomad, but I think the wagon is the same just a different length cable. Any way, there are no adjustments. The cable runs through a guide inside the fender then attaches to a spring wound retractor that will help lift the gate. These retractors will rust up and stop working. What is the problem you are having?
Jack

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tailgate

Thanks for the reply. We, Cindy and I were at the California HotRod Reunion and just got back. My problem is that the gate hits the bumper guards and guess what?--Dents
jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
Where the tailgate stops is totally dependent on the cable length and/or cable stop. I know the cables are a different length for the Nomads, but I do not know if they are longer. If the cables have been replaced with a longer one, the condition you describe could occur. The end of the cable stops inside the fender, and if that part is broken, bent, etc. it may allow the cable to extend farther than it is supposed to. I have the same problem on my '55 Nomad, but I am a long way from addressing that problem. It is my understanding that the cable reel's job is to keep the cable taut as the tailgate is opened and closed, not to help lift the gate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts