Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAS ANYONE HEARD OF TAKING YOUR REGULAR LIFTER AND MACHINING A SMALL SLIT DOWN THE SIDE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIFTER TO HAVE IT SUPPLY MORE OIL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIFTER AND TO THE CAM LOBE?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
HAS ANYONE HEARD OF TAKING YOUR REGULAR LIFTER AND MACHINING A SMALL SLIT DOWN THE SIDE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIFTER TO HAVE IT SUPPLY MORE OIL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIFTER AND TO THE CAM LOBE?
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? WITH LIFTER BORE CLEARANCE AT .0015 PLUS THE CAM IS GETTING PLENT OF OIL. EVER PRIME AN ENGINE WITH OUT THE MANIFOLD ON??

USE GOOD LIFTERS AND A GOOD CAM CORE AND OIL AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? WITH LIFTER BORE CLEARANCE AT .0015 PLUS THE CAM IS GETTING PLENT OF OIL. EVER PRIME AN ENGINE WITH OUT THE MANIFOLD ON??

USE GOOD LIFTERS AND A GOOD CAM CORE AND OIL AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.
NO HAVEN'T PRIMED ONE WITHOUT THE MAN.MAYBE I WILL PRIME THIS ONE ON THE STAND WITHOUT THE MAN. AND CHECK IT OUT.

I HEARD A MACHINIST MENTION THIS AND I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT ,SO I WAS JUST ASKING AROUND.
THANKS CNCBLOCK FOR YOUR RESPONSE.
JIM

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Not worth the hassle with flat tappet lifter...solid rollers without direct pin-oiling are different story but then the idea is to lube roller pin. Flat tappets with oil HOLE are good idea IMO...then the oil is where its needed, between lifter face and cam lobe, not around it.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Jim, i can't open the file from my cell phone but my guess is that you are refering to crower's 'cool face' lifters...yes they are good but THE most important thing with canted valve BBC is lifter bore clearance...because pushrods push lifters little sideways you want correct clearance that lifters spinn freely...not to loose nor too tight. Ask from Bullet about lifters and also what spring rates/pressures they recommend for your grind.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,739 Posts
Jim, i can't open the file from my cell phone but my guess is that you are refering to crower's 'cool face' lifters.
CROWER'S CAMSAVER HYDRAULIC LIFTERS

The maximum in cam lobe and lifter life.....If high spring pressures or extreme and unusual operating conditions have you worried about lobe scuff and lifter wear, insist on Crower “high-lube” CamSaver lifters. These lifters deliver 20% to 30% more oil to your lobe and lifter faces for the best possible insurance against premature lobe and lifter failure. Specially machined flats put 12 to 16 ounces of additional oil per minute at each lobe without adversely affecting engine oil pressure (nominal drop of just 1 or 2 pounds). Crower CamSaver lifters incorporate the same precision ground radius face and finish as our standard lifters to insure quick break-in and trouble
free operation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wonder if these lifters are an attempt to compensate for the lack of proper additives in most modern oils, if used in flat tappet engines. If the oil is inadequate to begin with I would think more of it wouldn't help much either? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
They came up with all these gimmicks when all the after market flat tappet lifters were coming in from Mexico and over seas. And also cheap cam cores.

Just what you need is more oil dumping on the crankshaft which will cause windage issues.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They came up with all these gimmicks when all the after market flat tappet lifters were coming in from Mexico and over seas. And also cheap cam cores.

Just what you need is more oil dumping on the crankshaft which will cause windage issues.
YOU JUST GOT ME TO REMEMBER ANOTHER QUESTION?
SHOULD I BE USING A WINDAGE TRAY IN MY BBC?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts