Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to lift body off of my 55 bel air 2 door post to replace trunk floor,
is it safe to lift from rocker panels, I was planning to lift with floor jacks and 4x4 under rockers. Ok to do so? front end is off of car doors and windows still in.
Tks

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,989 Posts
Lifted a number of bodies that way, with modified camper jacks, but never with doors and windows in. How about upholstery?

·
Premium Member
15,014 Posts
If the rockers (inner & outer) and lower quarters are solid you won't have any issues. If you have rusty panels you should fix them before lifting from there.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
In Don's photo, it shows the jacks that he has. I borrowed them and lifted my Handyman with all the glass in and the doors, windows, tailgate etc all intact. No problem at all.

The balance point on my wagon was just in front of the rear wheel well.

I had a cherry picker hooked up to the hood hinge mount holes but did not need it except for peace of mind as it never really had any weight on it.

I dado cut a groove into a 2x4 so I did not bend the pinch weld.

Wayne

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace the floor in my 55 ht and need to get the body high enough to put the 1 pc floor on the frame. Are the outer rockers alone, strong enough to lift with a floor jack/long 4x4 without bending the rockers,or should I brace from the rear wheel well to the front "kick board" floor with sq tubing and lift off that vs the rockers? Thanks

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,428 Posts
In Don's photo, it shows the jacks that he has. I borrowed them and lifted my Handyman with all the glass in and the doors, windows, tailgate etc all intact. No problem at all....Wayne
I don't see Don's photo o_O

·
Registered
584 Posts
Several decades ago I was surprised to see in one of the magazines a picture of one of the top builders at the time, with his body resting on 4x4s while he rolled the chassis under it. Its a way to do it, and I have done it myself, but there are better and safer ways.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I lifted my body off using the rocker panels which were in good condition. I have a 2 post lift. I used 2x2 pieces of wood between the rockers and lifting arms.
No problems. I moved the chassis out and backed a trailer in to lower the body on to. I then took the body over to a shop to be bead blasted and primed.
john

·
Registered
465 Posts
Has anyone lifted their POST body by running a 4x4 under roof in front of b-pillar? Run straps to rear to balance load. Kind of like I did my Panel.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A few years back I came across on eBay an adaptor for an engine cherry picker that went through the window to lift the body. It was similar to the one in the photo, but had additional out riggers to support a car body. I had it on my watch list for years thinking I would someday buy. It was $ 179.00. I can’t remember where on eBay I found it, but I am sure it is still available. It was pretty slick. Someone who welds could make one fairly easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I certainly wouldn't put it under the doors like that (unless that's just a demo photo showing where it goes). Also, as the boom goes up isn't it going to want to pull the body towards you instead of straight up unless you can move the cherry picker in at the same time?

I guess I should have clarified in my OP - is there enough support and strength in the body to lift them this way w/o damage?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts