Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lighter in my 1957 works if you hold it in, but it doesn't latch, and also the lighter adapter for my GPS doesn't work in the housing. Should I just replace the housing or is there a "fix" to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance
Doug

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Doug, your lighter is probably worn out, this happened a lot in all the old cars. You just need a new element. I could push mine in and when it got hot it would actually spring clear out of the socket..not good! I just bought a replacement element/socket from Danchuk and just used the element.

As for using GPS and other 12v adapters they won't work with the original lighters sockets...at least mine won't either. I just wired up a new 12v accessory socket, available from most auto supply stores($8-12), it sits in the glove box, the power wire is fed through a small hole I made in the corner of the box and is wired into the accessory slot in the fuse block. It could also be spliced into any hot lead provided a fuse is installed on the socket wire. It is grounded to a bolt on the underside of the dash. I can now use my GPS or cellphone charger when needed and the socket is out of sight.

Hope that helps

Gary

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmm, my socket does work for charging phones and the like. I need to check if there is a fuse on the line though, as I've read that there originally wasn't one.

I can't imagine how bad that could be to have the hot lighter shoot out of the socket!

Ian

·
Registered
731 Posts
I went to my nearest Advanced Auto Parts store . Bought a universal lighter unit took the knob of my 56 lighter and it screwed it to the new lighter element . Looks and works great. Don

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
There is no fuse in the original lighter socket. I would strongly recommend installing a separate wire from an empty location in your fusebox to the lighter socket. I would run at least a 14 ga. wire. I think a 7.5 amp fuse is ok. Disconnect and tape off the old line to the cigarette lighter socket. This is how my 57 is wired. I also ran my electric windshield wiper motor wire to my fusebox and fused it. They were originally wired to the ballast resister and if they short out you have no ignition! Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts