Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks for that great idea. Now that all the new cars lights go on and off automatically it's easy to forget to turn them off.

Also easy to not turn them on! Got a fix for that too?

Will be visiting Radio Shack real soon.

·
Administrator
48,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One thing I found out after using the LORS for a while was that any door will turn it on.....Also, turning on the dome light with the lights on will trigger the chime....A way to fix this would be to install a seperate swith for the LORS on the driver's door jamb.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I bought a lights left on buzzer that sounds when I turn the ignition off and the lights are on. I don't remember how its wired but I think it took more time for me to get off the floor of my car(age) then it did to wire it.:sign0020: I believe it 2 wires somewhere on the fuse box.

I can't look because the car is in storage until spring.:bowtier:

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Lights

Don't know about other newer cars but lights on Subarus won't work unless ignition key is on, you can't leave lights on. It may be possible on Trifives to run the lights off a keyed hot.

Dangerous Joe :viking:

·
Administrator
48,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You could do that Joe....But personally, since mine still has points, I would not want to.

·
Registered
295 Posts
One thing I found out after using the LORS for a while was that any door will turn it on.....Also, turning on the dome light with the lights on will trigger the chime....A way to fix this would be to install a seperate swith for the LORS on the driver's door jamb.
Use a two wire piezoelectric buzzer and wire it between the taillight circuit and the ignition circuit

The piezo buzzer works like a diode, only passing current in one direction. These will then be polarized, so you have to connect the positive wire to battery side.

Connect the piezo buzzer between the ignition switch output and the lighting switch taillight output. Switch on the lights. If it doesn't buzz, swap the wires on the piezo buzzer.

With ignition and lights on at the same time the buzzer has 12 volts on both sides, will pass no current, and will not sound.

With ignition switch on but no lights, the piezo buzzer has 12 volts on one side but will not pass current in that direction, so also does not sound.

With lights on and ignition switch off, the piezo buzzer gets power from the lighting circuit and finds ground return through the fuel pump or fuel gauge.

The piezo buzzer has such high internal resistance (only a 10mA device) that the lower resistance circuits conduct current like ground connection for the buzzer.

Current is limited to 10mA by the buzzer, so nothing happens in the ignition or fuel pump or fuel gauge (or heater fan, wipers or radio if any of those were left on). The little piezo buzzer could buzz loudly for 3 months and it still wouldn't flatten the battery.

·
Premium Member
13,132 Posts
Been driving my 55 more at night now that the cruse-ins have started back up.....Haven't had the time change yet....So, that means some night driving in the mix.....Installed some halogen light bulbs and it made a big difference.

Being old and forgetful like I am, I was concerned with no "lights-on" reminder, I would come out of a restuarant or whatever to a dead battery....So, today I put in a "lights on" reminder circuit....Pretty easy job....Probably took me under an hour total.

First I went to Radio Shack and got a 12VDC Chime p/n 273-0071 for ten bucks....See link:http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062401 The device has three wires: red is +12VDC, black is - ground, and a blue is switched -ground.....I hooked the +12V lead to the spare tail lamp connection on the light switch (marked T), the black to the body ground and the blue wire to the driver's door switch...Bolted it under the dash in an inconspicuous place.

Now, if I leave the light switch on, I will be reminded as soon as I open the door....COOL or what? :cool:

I'm thinking of something like this for a parking brake warning. I cant tell you how many times I have taken off and forgot to release the parking brake.

·
Administrator
48,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm thinking of something like this for a parking brake warning. I cant tell you how many times I have taken off and forgot to release the parking brake.
Excellent idea John :):tu

·
Administrator
48,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
good idea my problem is I forget where I parked:sign0020::happy0030:
How true...And one time I forgot which car I drove to the store, so kept looking for the wrong car....Saw my wife's car parked in the lot, but figured that she must have come to the store as well. :sign0020:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts