Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
55 manufacturers and parts are getting kind of expensive...i haven't bought anything in quite some time...i was shocked when an ignition key switch and door locks were 55 dollars...and 89 for all the locks....if you don't have a complete car...it seems like it's gonna cost you a lot of money now a days...i started driving my car in 2006. things were a tad bit cheaper back then...now...they are astronomical...i'm just amazed. i build most of my stuff now...brackets...got a template cut out for disc brakes as well. easy stuff if you have the skills and tools. but to outright buy stuff...whoooah...expensive...sticker shock...the government wasnts us to buy new cars i guess. new cars lose half their value right off the lot. I'm stickin with my 55. untill i can afford something way overpriced like a mercedez...lol

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
And if the parts aren't high enough, the shipping nearly cost as much as the parts. The suppliers use their shipping company for everything, regardless of value to their customers. I ordered a set of odometer decals the other day. Now this is paper thin and is about the size of a post card. Here it comes, UPS, $3.50 shipping. Could have been sent in an envelope with a $.46 cent stamp, but that would require a little effort (very little!) on the suppliers part. The suppliers make no effort to save you any cost, so long as they are making their profits.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I just got a new catalog for early Camaros and was shocked at how much cheaper the parts were than the parts for a trifive.

Sheet metal, interiors, etc. are less than half the price of equivalent trifive stuff.
I guess there's more volume and competition in the Camaro market.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
If you want cheap parts build a early Mustang the parts are almost free. I bought floor pans 119 dollars for both sides with freight included.
Yea, they would be good for someone to practice on.......

Then when you got good enough, sell it and buy some door locks and maybe some money left over for a new ignition switch for your trifive.:)

Don

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The og ignition wore out...so i bought a new aftermarket one...autopart store ten bucks...yeah other classic cars cost way less to buy new manufactured parts. the trifive trucks are relatively inexpensive to build compared to the cars...its crazy..i guess thats whywhen people ask me how much i purchased my 55 2door sedan..i tell them 6..they ask 600, i say nah...6000 not driving..Then they dont ask about buying it from me after that. if you want the best...you pay topprice mostly

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Those Chinese workers are demanding a higher standard of living these days! I look forward to the day when it's more economical to build parts in North America.

Also, I think vendors see 55-57 car enthusiasts as guys with lots of money to burn, almost in the same class with guys who like old Porsches.

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
55 manufacturers and parts are getting kind of expensive...i haven't bought anything in quite some time...i was shocked when an ignition key switch and door locks were 55 dollars...and 89 for all the locks....if you don't have a complete car...it seems like it's gonna cost you a lot of money now a days...i started driving my car in 2006. things were a tad bit cheaper back then...now...they are astronomical...i'm just amazed. i build most of my stuff now...brackets...got a template cut out for disc brakes as well. easy stuff if you have the skills and tools. but to outright buy stuff...whoooah...expensive...sticker shock...the government wasnts us to buy new cars i guess. new cars lose half their value right off the lot. I'm stickin with my 55. untill i can afford something way overpriced like a mercedez...lol

Try buying for a Vette....:sign0020:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I just got a new catalog for early Camaros and was shocked at how much cheaper the parts were than the parts for a trifive.

Sheet metal, interiors, etc. are less than half the price of equivalent trifive stuff.
I guess there's more volume and competition in the Camaro market.
And Firewheel Classics (tons of Camaro parts) is only 20-30 minutes from my house. Just another reason to sell my 55 and get a 67-68 Camaro!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.