Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering...when I need parts, should I continue to order from on-line forum sponsors or is it okay to go to the local parts store?

I'm talking about things like this:

I need to do some brake repair work, and most if not all of the parts are available through Advance Auto Parts and costs lots less than the parts available from Eckler's Classic Chevy Intl and Eastcoast Chevy, to name two "sponsors" or "popular" on-line sources. The specific parts I've been looking at today are the springs, etc. for drum brakes, and the adjusting screws. I could save quite a bit but if the rule is "you get what you pay for" then maybe I should stick with the higher priced but better items.

Let me know what you all think about NAPA, PepBoys, Advance Auto, etc. (I know there are other on-line sources that are good, but I'm looking for opinions on the local, stop-on-the-way-home-from-work kind of places!)

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Mike, it's good to consider sponsors here when you need things, but it isn't a must do. I buy parts from Autozone, Napa just to mention a couple. Your going to need things that folks like our sponsors carry and the local parts people won't. Try to consider the sponsors when buying those sort of things.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MikeKy55 said:
Mike, it's good to consider sponsors here when you need things, but it isn't a must do. I buy parts from Autozone, Napa just to mention a couple. Your going to need things that folks like our sponsors carry and the local parts people won't. Try to consider the sponsors when buying those sort of things.
Sorry to sound rude, but that's exactly the kind of response I WASN'T looking for :) I know I should consider sponsors, and I do consider sponsors, especially when I need something that's not available locally, but...

What do you guys think about the local parts stores? Is the quality as good for the type of thing I was mentioning above, or is it just junk? What should I look out for? Are there certain stores or brands that should be avoided at all costs, etc. etc.

Hope I didn't come across as being too rude...it's still pretty early and I haven't had enough coffee yet! :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I got a set of brake drums from Autozone, the first set came from 2 different manufacturers, I sent them back and told them I wanted them to be the same on all counts looks/manufacturers, so I get 2 the same (which I thought at the moment) one of them was drilled for larger studs, got back on the phone, finally I got a good set, the first 2 sets were noname brands, the last set was a name brand

If you want quality parts from autozone make sure you allready know what brand name you want, expect to pay more and wait

Napa has there own brand plus can get you others like Moog/TRW so on so on

Parts like brake drums or shoes, lets say brake parts I will buy local but do your research and try to stay with brand names

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MikeKy55 said:
Mike, I thought I answered your question with this quote. I guess I'm not good at relating at times. Sorry.

Sorry----told ya it was too early! I've now had my coffee and I feel much better!:(

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blackie -- thanks for the reply. I wonder if I would've notice the problem you noticed with the drums! I'd hate to think that I'd have to do that much ordering/re-ordering just to get the right stuff....

I noticed the brand name of the brake parts I found was "Raybestos" --- not being "in the know" because I'm so new to this, as far as I know it's a reliable brand, but I really don't know. I guess that's what brought this question up in my mind in the first place -- can I expect to get quality parts from these places or am I getting junk. Blackie's post tells me that I have to be vigilant and know what I want before I order it locally - great advice! Thanks :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had some of my best parts through Autozone and CarQuest and most of my worst quality and worst nightmares through Classic Chevy and Danchuk, the worst part was there lack of concern to resolve the issue or replace the parts. That's probably why they are referred to as Damjunk. All of your brake and suspension parts will be fine from anyone as I am sure they must meet safety standards.

·
Administrator
49,378 Posts
Mike sometimes it comes down to convenience. The local parts store is a lot handier sometimes and if you are on a more personal/friends arrangement the local parts store can work out great. As is the case with my car quest parts store here. Terry.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I would hope you would consider our sponsors first, But I buy from a lot of differant sources myself, so what ever is best for you.

Now as far as who has the best part, I think that is like asking someone about religion or politics, they all will have good or bad experiences with everything and everyone.

Now one place that I will not order from is jcwhitney.

I have ask Danchuck several times to be a sponser here but they decided not to.

As far as sponsors if you guys know of anyone that would like to sponsor us and get a rotating banner ad here it is only 49.95 per month.

That being said, this site will go on with or without sponsors as long as I live.

Otis:)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I certainly wasn't trying to cast aspersions on the benefits of using site sponsors, just looking for learned opinions regarding the local parts stores for the more 'generic' parts. I've used several site sponsors, from this site and others, and have never had a bad experience.

BTW Otis -- your enthusiasm is surpassed only by your undying commitment. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I will use the local parts stores for things that they stock for my vehicles for convenience and in case they give me the wrong stuff. I did find that East Coast had what I needed and the larger your order the greater the discount.
I've been satisfied with my dealings with East Coast.
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts