Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use them? I'm thinking about some for my new wheels, though the car may never be out of my sight. Is it normal to replace all of the lugs with locking or just one?
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called the local Boss wheel dealer and they r going to hook me up. All the lug nuts will be locking but I have to buy 2 sets as I have 7/16-20H up front and 1/2"-20H in the back. I had Moser install 1/2" studs in the back for when I start my horsepower build up. The dealer said they never had issues with the locking lugs but I have heard of them stripping sometimes.
Josh

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I called the local Boss wheel dealer and they r going to hook me up. All the lug nuts will be locking but I have to buy 2 sets as I have 7/16-20H up front and 1/2"-20H in the back. I had Moser install 1/2" studs in the back for when I start my horsepower build up. The dealer said they never had issues with the locking lugs but I have heard of them stripping sometimes.
Josh
josh
looks like u hav it all lined up and know what to get :anim_25:
oh, dont loose the special type socket lock.:D

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
They are a waste of time for a garage kept classic car, who is going to drive to the hood and leave a 55-57 parked unattended. Unless its a rusty 4door with nice wheels, I might leave it and they may be necessary then.

68,758 Posts
one per wheel is the way i see them. like you, my cars aren't outa my site. so i wouldn't bother putting them on. :stupido2: if it makes you feel better, than get them and put them on.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The biggest thing is folks loose the key, then you end up hammering a socket on trying to get the lock off,,or other ugly means to remove the lock.

The thieves are spotting the classic car first and would go for the whole enchalada on the average, imo.

If I was to add locks, it would only be 1 per wheel. loading every stud with a lock is not needed,,plus it is a PITA to remove all those, juggling sockets, hopeing not to to round off the lock design. you can do more ding damage to the wheel just removing all the locks.

Time spent at a tire shop was worth it.

No locks here, the car doesent wander to far out of sight for any length of time

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
They are a waste of time for a garage kept classic car, who is going to drive to the hood and leave a 55-57 parked unattended. Unless its a rusty 4door with nice wheels, I might leave it and they may be necessary then.
My brother might diagree with you on that:) He has a '67 Mustang, his first car at 16, second owner(third if you count my Dad since the car could not be registered in his name until he was 18:))a rare 289/4spd option, Pony interior, console and trim, power steering, front discs and AC, dealer installed Shelby 15x7 10 spoke rims w/pony logo, Cobra engine dress up kit. He has all the paperwork including dealer window sticker, service records and such. He drove it for years then about 15 years ago had a professional frame off restoration done to concours correct finish. He's won numerous trophies and awards with the car at shows and Mustang/Ford events. About 6yrs ago he and his wife drove the car from Sacremento to a national Mustang event in Reno rather than trailering it as he usually does to long distance events. Anyway long story short, they returned to their hotel Sat evening, parked the car in the designated lot along with a few hundred other Mustangs. Sunday morning they came out and his car was sitting on blocks...some lowlifes had stolen the rare/restored Shelby wheels/tires. Those wheels had been out of production for years and it took him 6mos to find a restorable set at a cost of nearly $3k for the wheels and restoration...plus the cost of buying a set of rims/tires that Sun. to be able to drive back home. He now has locking lugnuts on all the wheels... Not concours correct of course so it's a pia for him to change out the lugs at the show then again after the show.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the kits have only locking nuts then I guess that will have to do. I'll hide the keys and hope I don't forget were I put them...lol. I'm more concerned with making sure I have matching and correct lugnuts. But if I was a thief and saw locking lugs on all the wheels, I would pass it by...too much of a hassle....I would be a lazy thief....lol.
Josh

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
My brother might diagree with you on that:) He has a '67 Mustang, his first car at 16, second owner(third if you count my Dad since the car could not be registered in his name until he was 18:))a rare 289/4spd option, Pony interior, console and trim, power steering, front discs and AC, dealer installed Shelby 15x7 10 spoke rims w/pony logo, Cobra engine dress up kit. He has all the paperwork including dealer window sticker, service records and such. He drove it for years then about 15 years ago had a professional frame off restoration done to concours correct finish. He's won numerous trophies and awards with the car at shows and Mustang/Ford events. About 6yrs ago he and his wife drove the car from Sacremento to a national Mustang event in Reno rather than trailering it as he usually does to long distance events. Anyway long story short, they returned to their hotel Sat evening, parked the car in the designated lot along with a few hundred other Mustangs. Sunday morning they came out and his car was sitting on blocks...some lowlifes had stolen the rare/restored Shelby wheels/tires. Those wheels had been out of production for years and it took him 6mos to find a restorable set at a cost of nearly $3k for the wheels and restoration...plus the cost of buying a set of rims/tires that Sun. to be able to drive back home. He now has locking lugnuts on all the wheels... Not concours correct of course so it's a pia for him to change out the lugs at the show then again after the show.
When I took my 55 to a show recently it sat in the parking lot at the motel in my enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
As with locking anything up, you are just trying to slow them down to be caught. If they want it bad enough, they will have it.

Find a good external hiding spot on the car for the key,,trust me. some folks wire the extra key to a lug nut hole in the spare wheel.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol...I read reviews on the place I first mention and they stunk. So I found another place that I could buy them individually but none of them are locking. I do need to worry about theft but I want the wheels on first then I pick up some locking lugs. Thanks for the info.
Josh

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
When I took my 55 to a show recently it sat in the parking lot at the motel in my enclosed trailer.
Yeah my brother wished he'd done that now rather than driving the car down for the show....now when going to long distance events he trailers the car and locks it up in the trailer. But he still has the wheel locks on when he drives to local events.

If a lowlife wants your car or parts from it not much you can do unless you watch it 24/7...even in a locked garage or trailer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I use gorillas - I use a breaker off and torque wrench on with no problems. Ordered a spare key with the set. Costs more to get it later as I recall.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, started installing the wheel in the back and realized I had longer studs installed when the axles were sent to Moser. Of course I just had to see how the wheel looked on the back and installed it with some open ended lugs I had...looks great, but I'm going to have to cut the studs. I thought about replacing them with shorter ones but that means I would have to go buy new ones when I already have the stuff to cut these. Always something.
Josh

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Josh, do yourself a favor and put a lug on before you cut. Then deburr and back the lug off to correct your thread ends. Otherwise it gets tough to start a lug on messed up cut threads.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's typically the way I do it TJ. I'll also do a bevel after the cuts. If I can ever find time to do it. The customers 57 is almost done, got the quarter panels for the 55 Ford in, the 72 Nova came back for filler work, still trying to track down a wiring harness for a customers 94 S-10 (if anyone has one?? vortec 4.3), after the 57 is done the guy is bringing the 57 hardtop, plus my 68 Pickup, my wifes Camaro and building a bathroom in my basement. By the way, I hate cutting concrete, concrete dust everywhere. Anyway, wish I had another set of hands...lol.
Josh

·
Registered
209 Posts
Last time at Summitt, I saw they sold a special socket just to get off the 'locking' lugnuts--and I agree with the previous post(s)--someone is more apt to steal the entire Classic car then just the wheels---

This is not to be confused with the $1000.00 cars that have the $4000.00 set of wheels/ tires and the $3000.00 stereo system!! As an insurance appraiser, I LOVE handling those claims as most people won't get the additional coverage for their accessories!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts