Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have gone back and forth on whether to buy a crate motor or build a 350. Some of these crate motors are pretty pricey. I also want the satisfaction of building the motor myself. So I have been looking on craigslist and man, there isn't much out there!

Anyone have any ideas on where to find a 350 4 bolt engine? Most on craigslist are just bare blocks. What do you all recommend? What do you think the cost is to build a 350 that puts out about 350-400 hp?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Mike

I went to a local speed shop/engine builder to discuss building a 350 4 bolt main engine with about 325-330 hp. I didn't have a motor so he said he would get one from a local junk yard. The junk yard doesn't sell motors locally any more. They fill containers and export them to SOUTH AMERICA! Claims they get no come backs that way.

So the speed shop "gave" me a std bore 350 4 bolt main 010 high nickle block that they had been saving.

The build included magnafluxing the block, hot tanking all parts, bore 30 over, New Hyper-utechtic piston set, comp cam kit, polished crank and rebuilt rods, 3 angle valve job, timing set, and everything else needed for the rebuild plus an Edelbrock aluminum intake. Total cost to me was just under $2300.00 and took about 10 days turn around. The engine runs great but next time I think I'll go with a new crate motor.

Don

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike

I went to a local speed shop/engine builder to discuss building a 350 4 bolt main engine with about 325-330 hp. I didn't have a motor so he said he would get one from a local junk yard. The junk yard doesn't sell motors locally any more. They fill containers and export them to SOUTH AMERICA! Claims they get no come backs that way.

So the speed shop "gave" me a std bore 350 4 bolt main 010 high nickle block that they had been saving.

The build included magnafluxing the block, hot tanking all parts, bore 30 over, New Hyper-utechtic piston set, comp cam kit, polished crank and rebuilt rods, 3 angle valve job, timing set, and everything else needed for the rebuild plus an Edelbrock aluminum intake. Total cost to me was just under $2300.00 and took about 10 days turn around. The engine runs great but next time I think I'll go with a new crate motor.

Don
Why do you say you'll go with a new crate motor next time?

·
Registered
36,950 Posts
What are you going to do with a complete engine when you get it? Rebuild it? Put it in the car as is?

You need to be more specific on what you want.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have not priced machine shop work in years, you can call some local shops and find out how much they charge for cleaning, magnafluxing , boring etc
then shop for your parts. Generally I'd think about buying quality new heads rather than rebuilding stock sbc chevy heads. It will make reaching above 350 hp much easier.
If your starting with a bare block and having to buy new crank,pistons and rods you may want to consider building it as a 383 as its not that much more than the same new parts to build it as a 350.

Another option is to buy a shortblock and build it up from there.

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Why do you say you'll go with a new crate motor next time?
Well, my motor ran a bit hot until it was broken in (about 1K miles). A bit of a PITA. I don't think these issues exist with the Crate engines. Then all the major components are new not rebuilt. Std bore cylinders, etc. Probably a better warranty. My builder gave me a great warranty then went out of business 2 years later.

Don

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided to build a 350 instead of a crate motor. I know crate motors are a better finacial decision, but I want the exprerience of building a motor.

Here's my next question. I see some 350 blocks on craigslist. Is there a better year of block to buy? In other words, should I go with a 70's block as opposed to a late 90's block? Any info and suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
945 Posts
block changed in 1986 from 2 piece rear main seals and internally balanced to
1 piece seal and to externally balanced crank shaft. Do you plan on using your
old flywheel and harmonic balancer? The flywheel and balancer must match
the crankshaft type.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
the crankshaft type.
On 86 up SBC engines with the 1 peice seal only the rear is externally balanced as the harmonic balancer is neutral balanced and will work with older 2 peice seal cranks as well.

·
Registered
449 Posts
http://www.pawinc.com/350_4ChevySpecial.html These people have been in business forever you can get computor control engine kits or just blocks at one time, you want in the older style block a 010 or 020 a freind got one once we dial bored the cylinders and magged all the parts everything ok there a good street motor just ask them if they warranty the parts if you find anything wrong, if your serious about making big HP then a local shop with a good rep is the way to go all depends on what you want....https://secure.pawengineparts.com/shoppingcart/showpage.cfm?catid=1477 just beat them up real good on what your getting for a block, sonic tested with a report, and a big list on what you expect from them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the crankshaft type.
I don't have anything at all right now as far as any engine parts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I RECOMMEND PURCHASING A CRATE MOTOR. I PURCHASED ONE A FEW MONTHS AGO FROM THE LOCAL Gmc/ Pontiac Dealer, IT COST $1,800. I THEN SOLD THE HEADS AND VALVE COVERS FOR $500.00. THEN I GOT AFR ALUMINUM HEADS AND A HOWARDS CAM. I ENDED UP WITH 400HP AT COST OF $3,200.00

JIM, 56 BELAIR 2DR SEDAN

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I can have the machine work done and assemble nice 355 short blocks for 1200-1500. I have 4 bolts in my street moters, however my 355 race moter has a 010 block with 2 bolt mains & studs. A 400 hp 350 does not need 4 bolt mains. I enjoy going to the track and blowing the doors off crate moters.
I see 4 bolt blocks on craigslist all the time, for example this one is a tad overpriced.

mailto:[email protected]?subject=350%20chevrolet%20block%204%20bolt%20main...engine%20stand%20included%20-%20%24225%20(tecumseh)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Ftopeka.craigslist.org%2Fpts%2F1906744103.html%0A

small block chevrolet 350, 4 bolt main, std bore (never bored or honed) , 2 piece rear main. all main caps included and in correct position, 50k on engine when dissasembled. great for a restorer or engine build. also comes with engine stand that the block is currently on. this block is in excellent condition and has no signs of any damage what so ever....again this is the engine block only!! all rotating assembly from this engine has been removed. $225 for both stand and block 785-845-3789

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can have the machine work done and assemble nice 355 short blocks for 1200-1500. I have 4 bolts in my street moters, however my 355 race moter has a 010 block with 2 bolt mains & studs. A 400 hp 350 does not need 4 bolt mains. I enjoy going to the track and blowing the doors off crate moters.
I see 4 bolt blocks on craigslist all the time, for example this one is a tad overpriced.
I spent several hours last night reading a bunch of forums about 2 and 4 bolt mains and this seems to be what every one says. One guy said "4 bolt mains are for those who can't sleep at night" !!!!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Mike

Gotta agree about the 4 bolt mains. Keep in mind that no 327 ever left the GM factory with a 4 bolt main block. That includes every configuration used in the small block Corvettes! And some of those were factory rated at 365 HP.

I believe there are plenty of 350 std bore motors sitting in garages and junk yards. Lots of them are four bolt main blocks. Given the choice I opted for the 010 high nickel 4 bolt main block. But here in NY they seem to be plentiful. I can't imagine why you are having a problem finding one in Texas. I had one of these in my warehouse for years that a neighboring Taxi companies garage had rebuilt but never used, then threw away when they relocated their garage. I rolled it into my warehouse where it sat for 5 years before I sold it for $600.00. If you want to build a motor I would put an ad on Craig's list as "wanted to buy" for a re-buildable 350 and then get ready to screen the calls:sign0020:

look here: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/1937716485.html

Don

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike

Gotta agree about the 4 bolt mains. Keep in mind that no 327 ever left the GM factory with a 4 bolt main block. That includes every configuration used in the small block Corvettes! And some of those were factory rated at 365 HP.

I believe there are plenty of 350 std bore motors sitting in garages and junk yards. Lots of them are four bolt main blocks. Given the choice I opted for the 010 high nickel 4 bolt main block. But here in NY they seem to be plentiful. I can't imagine why you are having a problem finding one in Texas. I had one of these in my warehouse for years that a neighboring Taxi companies garage had rebuilt but never used, then threw away when they relocated their garage. I rolled it into my warehouse where it sat for 5 years before I sold it for $600.00. If you want to build a motor I would put an ad on Craig's list as "wanted to buy" for a re-buildable 350 and then get ready to screen the calls:sign0020:

look here: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/1937716485.html

Don
Don, good info, and very true on the 327 (which is what is in the 57). I know I won't be doing any 4500 rpm drops at the street light. I just want some power so when I am rolling and step on it, it goes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Small Block Chevy Short Block

I have a 69-70 model short block I've been saving to build one of these days, but no longer have the room. I'm in Bryan, Tx. less than 100 miles from Houston. I will take $250 for it, and would probably deliver it to you for $75. Let me know and I will share my phone numbers with you and we can talk. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 69-70 model short block I've been saving to build one of these days, but no longer have the room. I'm in Bryan, Tx. less than 100 miles from Houston. I will take $250 for it, and would probably deliver it to you for $75. Let me know and I will share my phone numbers with you and we can talk. Good luck.
Thanks for getting posting this. Give me a week or so to think about it. I am just finishing up getting divorced and my quality of life has changed drastically along with my funds for my cars. So I'll know more soon whether or not it makes sense to purchase right now.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Thanks for getting posting this. Give me a week or so to think about it. I am just finishing up getting divorced and my quality of life has changed drastically along with my funds for my cars. So I'll know more soon whether or not it makes sense to purchase right now.
Hey Mike! Sorry to hear about the family problems. Wishing the best for you! :(

Don

1 - 20 of 25 Posts