Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a 4-speed manual trans that will fit a '57 Chevy. Will be installed with a early 60s 327...would prefer Muncie but will look at any. If so let me know the price plus shipping.....thanks, Bill

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,368 Posts
Well, keeping mine- but I've seen quite a few on craigs list. You might want to check- you may find a deal within driving distance. Good luck.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
try don hintz auto parts. he specializes in muncies and t10's. 330 274 8200

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Does anyone have a 4-speed manual trans that will fit a '57 Chevy. Will be installed with a early 60s 327...would prefer Muncie but will look at any. If so let me know the price plus shipping.....thanks, Bill
bill

Theres 3 types out there, a m-20 is a good one for street use, but actually depends on rear ratio too, as the m-20 has the 1st gear lower gear ratio compared to the m-21 and m22, :anim_25:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Success maybe

Thanks guys for all the responses. Since I started this post, I have done some calling around and found a gentleman in Hattiesburg, Miss that has six 4-speeds; 4 Muncies and 2 Borg-Warners. I'm taking a little road trip (about 75 miles) to look at them. Hope he has an M20; he wasn't sure without checking. Thanks again, Bill

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Fresh M-20 Muncie

Bill, I have a Freshly re-built Muncie 4sp M-20 I was holding onto for another project, but have now changed my mind, so, it's available for a fair price. I'll shoot you a PM and quote you a price.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Muncie Trans

I have two New Muncies in stock both have the new Muncie Super case and matching tail housing with all new gears

1. muncie 2:20 M-22 rockcrusher close Ratio $2,000.00
2. muncie 2:52 M-20 ............... wide ratio 1,800.00

Both boxes have the coarse spline input and the smaller output shafts and will fit the 1957 chev no problem, but a cross member must be installed.
The M-22 box may well be one of the last M-22's in the country. Surely this will only get more valuable as they are not being made any more as the company ,aking them went bankrupt. There will be parts in the pipeline for years to come but no complete units. These are fresh beautiful boxes with the new aluminum that just shines. Will need to know where to ship to but generlly to ship east of the Mississippi is about $85.00

Garys Gearbox aka The Muncieman

Gary Howard

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know I will make a few upset with this, but if you look long enought, you will find a good one for $600 or so. Borg warner trans are just a little better for strength, and expect maybe $700 or so. Don't be in a hurry, something will turn up. :anim_25:

·
Registered
731 Posts
karaokekng , I have a low mileage super T10 with shifter , clutch and the big yoke . It came out of a 77 Z28 driven by a pretty red head back and forth to University of Maryland. (53,000 miles) I would like to get $650 for it but the shipping would probably kill you . Don

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
karaokekng , I have a low mileage super T10 with shifter , clutch and the big yoke . It came out of a 77 Z28 driven by a pretty red head back and forth to University of Maryland. (53,000 miles) I would like to get $650 for it but the shipping would probably kill you . Don
Thanks Don, but I bought a Muncie M20 in Hattiesburg, Ms. out of a '68 Chevelle for $500. Has been rebuilt before the owner decided to install a Tremec 5-speed. Even has a Hurst Super-shifter mounted on it. It has a 10 tooth input shaft and a 27 tooth output. I got a good deal. I will be selling the Hurst shifter with reverse lockout, because I want to get a Hurst bench seat shifter......Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
M-21

I have just purchased a 5 speed for my 55, I have a totaly rebuilt M-21 with a Hurst shifter for sale , I paid 1200.00 for the rebuild ealier this year. I'll sell the tranny & shifter for 1100.00 plus frieght( 85.00)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bill,do you have all the rest of the stuff you need to install it?
Don't forget you need the fine spline input on your driveshaft to use the Muncie.
And I've got the M-20 in mine with a 3:36 rear.Does great!
Mike.:bowtieb::)
Mike, I have just about everything I need for the conversion back to a manual trans. I found a '57 bellhousing on ebay,new z-bar, the original clutch pedal, the rod from pedal to z-bar, and both frame mount and bellhousing mounting brackets for z-bar. I am looking for the linkage from z-bar to yoke and the yoke itself. Right now the car has a TB350 with bellhousing mounts. When I put the manual 4-speed in, will I still be able to use the bellhousing mounts and do I need a support brace under the transmission? It has front mounts on the engine with no support under the automatic at the present. Any info will be much appreciated......Bill

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Thanks guys for all the responses. Since I started this post, I have done some calling around and found a gentleman in Hattiesburg, Miss that has six 4-speeds; 4 Muncies and 2 Borg-Warners. I'm taking a little road trip (about 75 miles) to look at them. Hope he has an M20; he wasn't sure without checking. Thanks again, Bill
On Aluminum Muncies-Make sure the seller has the side cover off and the trans drained and gears cleaned up with some brake parts cleaner. Never buy a trans with gear oil over the gears and synchros. It hides problems. Also make sure the synchros don't spin in their housings and the 6 keys and springs are in place. Check the housings for leaks and repairs to bolt hole threads. Check the teeth on the synchros on 1st , 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears especially the input shaft synchro as they are expensive to replace. Check the front bearing retainer for cracks. The 63-65 Muncie M-20 4 speed with the 2:56 first gear would probably work the best for you. Hope this helps Jim

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I never used a cross member with my m-21 in a 55 chevy and drove it hard for years without a glitch. Only 4 bolts held it to the bellhousing.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Bill,I've always had a 4-speed in a 57(at least 40 years)and never had any extra support other than the factory mounts.Even when I had a 396 in my 57,I used the front mounting position and the bellhousing mounts.
Although many will say you need a crossmember under the trans,it isn't necessary.Not unless you're running a lot of H.P.!
You're gonna love the 4-speed!
Mike.:bowtieb:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.