Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure now to go about this, but here is the story:

Back in September of '57, my dad purchased a Bel Air 2dr Sport Coupe/Hardtop. I do know that it came with the fuel injected 283 with 283 hp, and a 3-speed on the tree. It also had a 2-tone paint scheme with India Ivory top and a Onyx Black body. The unfortunate thing is that he sold the car a few years later and and only pictures remain of it. Upon thinking about the stories he told, I want to find the exact one he purchased 49 years ago. With no VIN number or a plate number, I don't know where to start. Is there a reccomended site to help further my search or should I buy a different one and re-incarnate his? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Are you looking for the exact one, or one that is exactly the same? I'd guess it'd be a lot easier to find a similar one and reincarnate it, but if you're looking for dad's old car, you might start with the dealership where he got it to see if there are any records, or check with the state dept. that licenses vehicles in wisco. (if that's where he owned it). If you're really lucky, one of these sources might get you a vin and then you can see if you could trace the vin through different owners to hopefully find the actual car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty much pulling straws looking for his car with no records to help. I do have his personal info and searching with whatever i can come across. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Do you know where he bought it and where it was registered? Sometimes you can search on-line.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Looks like a pretty daunting task.....Good luck my friend! Let us know if you have any luck!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
It might be a longshot, but if you know the registration address, then you could guess that the car was purchased locally and check with the local chevy dealer to see if they either were the chevy dealer back then or if there was another one. You might have to do some legwork. Of course, with the name of the person (your father) and his address in 57, you might get some information from the dept. of motor vehicles.

Another longshot would be to post the information to see if anyone "recognizes" the car.

For example, I know enough about my 57 to recognize a description of where it came from and what it looks like and how it's configured to at least respond to someone looking for a car like mine from a certain geographical area...just a suggestion, it might not result in anything, but it can't hurt trying.

I guess it all depends on how serious you are about finding that car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.