Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a working radio for a '55 Belair that they would like to part with? The one in my car was not a '55 and the '55 radio I picked up (okay...it was free) doesn't seem to work :( . I'm trying to restore it to original.

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hello Larry, I can appreciate that you want to keep your '55 origianl as that's what I'm trying to do. I read somewhere of someone that repairs them but I don't remember where. If I can find it I will let you know. Good luck on your resto. BTW if you've got any pictures post them for all of us to see.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sweden. Yep...I'm looking at Ebay too. Just thinking that, as much as I want to keep this all original, maybe I would be better off putting in the USA-2 radio and being able to enjoy better sound.

Larry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

You can see some pics of the car from when we first got it at http://community.webshots.com/user/geordielaforge. The car is almost all original and has 25000 original miles on it. It runs well, with the original 6cyl but it needs a new exhaust system (on order) and the brake seals are leaking. Then, I will have to rechrome the bumpers or replace them.

Larry

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
The radio there now is a 59-60 radio. I have a tuner portion that I had rebuilt but no amp section. I put this one in my 55 and played it maybe three times while I was finishing the car. Then I ran across a wonderbar tuner and had it rebuilt. So I took the push button tuner out and boxed it up. It sits on a shelf in my garage. I would sell it, but it won't work for you unless you find the amp section.

This as you can see has the 56 dial (conrad station markers) but it the same as a 55 otherwise. All you would have to do to look original is get the dial lens for the 55 and change them.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yours is a lot like mine, when I got it I had to replace the exhaust on it first thing. You've got the "WonderBar" radio, I would keep it original if it was me.
You can check out my pictures in the "Garage" section and on my webspace link in my signature. I'll see if I can find the radio restorer I saw somewhere in cyberspace while surfing some time back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The radio that was in the dash didn't fit properly but I didn't know what year it was from (thanks Mikey) but it worked. So, I was given a '55 radio and I can get power to it so that the internal light comes on but the tubes don't warm up. I suspect that I will decide to replace it with a "new" radio, like the USA-2, which would be the easiest thing to do.

The exhaust story is funny. When I first got the car, it had an exhaust leak around the donut at the manifold. I couldn't get the nuts loose to replace it and was planning on taking it in. Well, we were driving it one evening and it backfired and died. I managed to get it in to a parking lot and left it until morning, figuring I needed to check the points, etc. Got under the hood and found the wire from the coil to the distributor had popped off. Easy repair but then when it started, it sounded funny. Looked underneath and the backfire had destroyed my muffler. Since there was already no tailpipe, I decided just to replace the complete exhaust system. Ecklers has shipped it so I'm waiting.

Larry

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Travis, you may be teaching me something? I used the 56 power supply with the 55 wonderbar and it plugged right together. Can you expand? Thanks
The 55 and 56 radio and amp work together no problem. On the 55 radio, power coming from the car has wire leads on the radio. 56 just has a plug on the radio and the wire leads are on the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, what are the two wires for on the '55 radio? There's one on top, which I assume goes to the speaker but there are two on the left. It appears that one is a ground but I thought the radios grounded on the body back then??

Larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.