Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a thin shroud to use on my '57. I just bought a Griffin aluminum radiator for the v8 position and I have a 16" flex fan with a 17" electric fan on the outside. It still run awfully hot after the A/C is on when I'm at a stop light or especially after driving and it sits for a few minutes. Moving down the road is fine, 175 degrees or so. Anyway, I'm looking for something like what is in this pic, does anyone know of something similar?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I would change out the flex fan ,their not very good, also putting the electric fan in front blocks some air flow. if it cools on the highway and not cruising I would check the water pump

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I agree with fiddysix get rid of the flex fan and maybe use one like in your photo. I like clutch fans myself but I dont think one will fit your car with the radiator in the V8 position.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using a flex fan for space reasons. The car hasnt broken 220 degrees yet, but its gotten close. I really dont want to move the radiator out basically because I dont like the way it looks...so I'm looking for a shroud to help out. Now If some of these retailers and sellers could give out dimensions on the shrouds ...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would get the dimensions and head to the pick and pull. IMO, I would not put a fan in front of the rad. I and others find it creates turbulence with the incoming air flow.

Also do you know if the electric fan is a pusher or a puller?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking for a thin shroud to use on my '57. I just bought a Griffin aluminum radiator for the v8 position and I have a 16" flex fan with a 17" electric fan on the outside. It still run awfully hot after the A/C is on when I'm at a stop light or especially after driving and it sits for a few minutes. Moving down the road is fine, 175 degrees or so. Anyway, I'm looking for something like what is in this pic, does anyone know of something similar?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That sure looks like the ABS shroud Summit sells . Be safe...Bob.
Dear Bob,
You have 2 ways to go.
Reset your radiator in front of the support as a 6 cyl., and put your schroud & fan in the back.

way 2. Buy a crossflow radiator and put it up front and ad my dual 11" fans with the plastic schroud on it.of course the fan & schroud go in the v8 position.That
will give you lots of cooling with those puller fans.You can always call me for more advise.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

I would be willing to bet that this shroud does more harm than good. It is so close to the radiator that it actually blocks some of the air flow. Almost every Tri-five I have ever seen with AC and the radiator in the V8 position the owner has installed a pusher fan in front of the radiator in an attempt to keep it from boiling over in slow traffic.

I understand that it looks better to have the radiator in the V8 position but if you really want to keep your engine cool mounting the radiator in the 6 cylinder position with a deep shroud and a mechanical clutch fan will pull a lot more air through the core.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
The pusher in the front is not whats giving you problems, otherwise it would be having heating issues all the time, not just when going slow, but it can only do so much. A puller will pull more air than a pusher can push. I was having the exact same issue as you, great on the highway or above 30, but stop and go or traffic was getting above 200 all the time and getting up to 240 once so far. Pusher in front to help, mechanical 18" clutch fan and shroud in back wasn't cutting it. I am in the process of dumping my mechanical and pusher to put in a electric puller and custom shroud from Flowkooler, I'll start a post tomorrow on how it goes.

I had a flex fan before, dumped it for the mechanical clutch, which did improve things but didn't cure them. That shroud does look very limiting in the amount of air it will pull, but it does allow enough through at speed to cool the engine. Hate to say it but I think everyone is right when suggesting to move the radiator to the 6 cyl position. If I could afford it I would go with a fancy cross flow with the dual fans, real clean and real efficient:tu

1 - 16 of 16 Posts