Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to find a later model in-dash ignition switch to replace the stock unit in the wife's 56 Nomad that has an engine-off, ACC-on position. (So the radio can be played at the drive in movies) The 60-62 Vette switch looks very similar but I dont have one to verify. Anyone know what year Chevy began the ACC position?

Update - I may have solved this according to Ecklers' the 63-64 Vette has the ACC only position and looks like it's the same size (maybe even key cylinder). I will know for certain when it arrives this week. Whats amazing is this 2 year only Vette switch is only $19.95 and key cylinder is $18.95 compared to $60+ for the 56 repo unit! I probably spent more in the 2 day shipping....

I will post an update confirmation when I get it

Got the Vette switch yesterday and looks like it will be perfect for me. The factory 3 gang plug will have to be separated as the pins on the back are in different positions. I'm rewiring the dash for the new Dakota Digital VHX cluster, ATO Fuse bank and Painless Perfect EFI harness so this is the time to do the full monty. This also has one Ignition position, so if you have a ballast resistor that needs the bypass wire you would need to wire it from the solenoid on the starter. (thats the outside small terminal opposite the solendoid terminal) It will route 12+ back to the coil during cranking that the 56 switch did with IGN2. If you have HEI or a coil with internal resistor, then you dont need IGN2 anyway.

I'll get some pics and details of how to adapt it. Although the key cylinder looks very close, it is different enough I will use the matching Vette unit. The lock nut also has the same threads, but the 56 is only threaded a short way, where the Vette has longer threads, so I will use the new Vette nut too. The outside styles are very similar, but just different enough that if you are going for pure stock look, an expert might notice. The biggest difference is that they got smart about making the key cylinder top slightly larger than the threaded lock so you cant back the lock nut off on the outside and push the switch through the dash to hot wire the car. You have to install and remove the switch with the key cylinder out.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Ignition switch nut?

Where did you find your vette ignition switch nut? Got the switch need the nut. I am going to do the same swap out. Just found the nut and wrench at Corvette Specialty of California . :D

·
12,256 Posts
It's amazing to me that nobody has offered this as an upgrade for our cars. I would also like to see a stock-looking bezel that has the ACC position printed on it. I would buy one, and I'm sure a lot of other guys would too.

·
Premium Member
16,172 Posts
My 57 GMC Suburban has an ACC position on it from the factory. The threaded part is the same as 55-57 cars are. The cylinder design is different on the GMC but the original 55-57 cylinder will fit the GMC switch. The 55/56 nut also fits this switch as well.

-Bruce

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like more than a few folks have had the same drive in movie issue as I have - dont want to leave the key in IGN position and burn out the points for a few hours!

I'm on the road for the day job but have some pics to post later this week when I get back. I got the key and matching lock nut from Ecklers for a great price. I too would like to find a proper labeled bezel with ACC on it, but for now just used the stock one strategically positioned so the "Lock" is in about the right spot and I know ACC is just to the left.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,172 Posts

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
X2.. I'd like to have the bezel Laslo mentioned. I have the AAW switch w/ acc position.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Accessory relay wiring

I wired my radio with the relay schematic on "the12volt.com" Once the ignition switch is energized the radio plays until the door is opened.
Works great!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NICE relay idea! I may add that too just like the new Chevys all have.

·
12,256 Posts
I wired my radio with the relay schematic on "the12volt.com" Once the ignition switch is energized the radio plays until the door is opened.
Works great!

Good point. I set up my car for retained accessory power. All accessories are powered after the key is turned off, until the driver's door is opened.

Dakota Digital makes a nice little module that takes care of retained accessory power, headlight control, and dome light control and dimming. Just like modern cars. $199.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's amazing to me that nobody has offered this as an upgrade for our cars. I would also like to see a stock-looking bezel that has the ACC position printed on it. I would buy one, and I'm sure a lot of other guys would too.
Yep, I would.

·
Registered
88 Posts
$199?

Good point. I set up my car for retained accessory power. All accessories are powered after the key is turned off, until the driver's door is opened.

Dakota Digital makes a nice little module that takes care of retained accessory power, headlight control, and dome light control and dimming. Just like modern cars. $199.
O.K. I'd rather spend my money on some go-fast or bling, The relays only cost about $15-$25 with some terminals and a few feet of wire.

·
12,256 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
American Auto wire has a retained power kit for $94. , but as mentioned, you can build your own with 2 relays and a diode to keep the radio going until the door is opened.

·
12,256 Posts
American Auto wire has a retained power kit for $94. , but as mentioned, you can build your own with 2 relays and a diode to keep the radio going until the door is opened.
I agree. I set up my wiring with a couple of relays for retained power, but now I'm thinking I'll go with the PAC-1300 and get the other features. I wouldn't buy just a retained power kit, but the PCA-1300 module has a lot more to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts