Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 57 Chev Belair. I am trying to change the stock 57 rear end to a 1970 firebird rear end. But the u joints are different sizes. How can I make this work?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,880 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
They make u-joints with different sized cups on opposing sides for changes like that. Don`t know the sizes you need. Measure the driveshaft and the rearend and then go to looking.
Terry

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I have a 57 Chev Belair. I am trying to change the stock 57 rear end to a 1970 firebird rear end. But the u joints are different sizes. How can I make this work?
Out of curiosity, the change to a longer 8.2 rear (Firebird, unless it`s an extremely rare 12 bolt) from the 57 8.2 rear end?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,880 Posts
Is this the u-joint for a 70 Firebird? If yes, it is too large for the 57 drive shaft. The yokes are different sizes. Do I have to change the drive shaft? And thanks so much for replying- appreciate it a lot!
As stated the universal joint is a Spicer 1310-Spicer 1330 combination.

You will have to measure:

Bearing Cap Diameter (in) Axis 1: 1.063 in.
Width Overall (in) Axis 1: 3.218 in.
Bearing Cap Diameter (in) Axis 2: 1.063 in.
Width Overall (in) Axis 2: 3.622 in.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Curious to hear your reasoning for a change to a Salisbury rear. Aren't the axles riding directly on the bearings? Doesn't NHRA, etc. require axle retainers? Is the rear of your choice a 10 bolt? - if so,will it be stronger and do you need extra strength?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts