Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gidday all
I have a question re the id tags on an Aussie delivered RHD 57..
How do you id the tag numbers and is there any other tags other than the 1 that looks like the US Trim plate under the bonnet?
Any help to help id my mates identity would be great.
I am reluctant to post the numbers on the tag as i do not have approval from him at this stage.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
David
The Aussie built 210's had a GMH tag on the cowl. They also had a "VIN" tag on the door jamb - not like the US version but a small plate with the engine/chassis # and it was screwed to the door jamb. The fully imported Bel Air sedans and 4 door hardtops had either US or Canadian tags on the cowl - I have seen numerous US tags with RHD in the accessories area. Those fully imported cars had the US or Canadian VIN tags on the door jamb.

I have a couple of Aussie tags here and will dig them out and post photos.

Cheers, Des

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
David
The Aussie built 210's had a GMH tag on the cowl. They also had a "VIN" tag on the door jamb - not like the US version but a small plate with the engine/chassis # and it was screwed to the door jamb. The fully imported Bel Air sedans and 4 door hardtops had either US or Canadian tags on the cowl - I have seen numerous US tags with RHD in the accessories area. Those fully imported cars had the US or Canadian VIN tags on the door jamb.

Cheers, Des
I'm missing my door jamb tag, so I'd be interested to see what the Aussie one looks like.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David

Cheers, Des
Gidday Des Did you have a chance to get the pics?
If you do not not want to post publicly that`s fine (i appreciate protecting the identity) for that very reason if you send to my mobile i can edit the numbers and post what they look like identity removed..

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Here is a pic of an Aussie cowl tag and Aussie VIN tag. These were from an Aussie 210 sedan. The R # is the engine number, which also doubled as the chassis number. Some Aussie chassis had that number stamped near the idler arm bolt holes.

LS2Chevy57: I have seen fully imported RHD 4 door HT's with US or Canadian VIN tags. Yours may be one of the small number fully imported. If so the US tag could be correct. This tag is from a 56 4 door Bel Air I parted out years ago. That car had the US VIN tag and the US cowl tag with RHD as an accessory. I visited a mate recently and he has a similar tag on his 57 4 door HT.
I suppose the best way to determine if your car was one of the original fully import cars would be to inspect the inside firewall and under dash areas for evidence of a conversion. All the fully imported cars were manual and the chassis would have had the brackets for the clutch - most likely removed during it's lifetime. If converted, the chassis rails would probably still have evidence of the lhd steering box/idler arm mounts and inside the firewall may have evidence of welding. You can buy a repro cowl tag from the US and get it stamped as RHD under the accessories - johnonetrillion did it with his 57.

Cheers, Des

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys . this is the exact info i was looking for ..
We have now identified my mates car is a Factory RHD car built in Australia by Holden..
He is missing his Stamped Vin tag (the smaller one that looks like an after thought :p ) So now have to see if he can find it.
Again THANK-YOU all.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Dean

R****** is the engine/chassis number
57 1019 - 1019 is the model # for 210 4 door sedan
HM #, we think is the Holden body number

The handbook that was in the glove box when sold shows that the engine # and chassis # were the same. The only number used in Australia at that time when registering the car was the engine # The chassis # was recorded from sometime in the 60's.

I have seen a few Aussie chassis with the R # stamped near the idler arm bolt holes. Johnonetrillion's is stamped that way and the chassis under my 55 is not - both are on local chassis.

As I have mentioned before, the Aussie VIN tag looks like it was made at primary school,, but it is a continuation of what Holden did from the 1930's. I have tags off a couple of 1930's Chevs and they are similar design.

Engine #/prev registration # records:
In Vic all the Vicroads records were transferred to the AOMC (Assoc of Motoring Clubs) and the AOMC provide a service where if you know the old engine # they will check the records and hopefully provide the old rego #. That is not foolproof - I was reading thru their web site recently and there is mention of a Lancia engine being used in 3 different vehicles. Of course that is for Vic vehicles only. A mate in S.A. a while back found that all S.A. records were destroyed - he had the old rego # on the vent window and the Transport Dept had no record. Think he solved it with a stat. dec. Don't know what W.A. did, perhaps ask a few rodders what ID they need when registering something like a 34 Ford found out in the bush.

But the basic thing is that we did not have the same level of info recorded on our registration papers that the US did. Nothing to stop you making one of those plates down here. and I can give you an approx. range of numbers to use if you want to go down that path.

Cheers, Des

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Dean

R****** is the engine/chassis number
57 1019 - 1019 is the model # for 210 4 door sedan
HM #, we think is the Holden body number

But the basic thing is that we did not have the same level of info recorded on our registration papers that the US did. Nothing to stop you making one of those plates down here. and I can give you an approx. range of numbers to use if you want to go down that path.

Cheers, Des
Do you think that the HM stands for "Holden Melbourne"indicating the plant the car was reassembled ?
I haven't been able to find any numbers stamped on the chassis so maybe I'll look into the range of numbers you have and start from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is a pic of an Aussie cowl tag and Aussie VIN tag. These were from an Aussie 210 sedan. The R # is the engine number, which also doubled as the chassis number. Some Aussie chassis had that number stamped near the idler arm bolt holes.

LS2Chevy57: I have seen fully imported RHD 4 door HT's with US or Canadian VIN tags. Yours may be one of the small number fully imported. If so the US tag could be correct. This tag is from a 56 4 door Bel Air I parted out years ago. That car had the US VIN tag and the US cowl tag with RHD as an accessory. I visited a mate recently and he has a similar tag on his 57 4 door HT.
I suppose the best way to determine if your car was one of the original fully import cars would be to inspect the inside firewall and under dash areas for evidence of a conversion. All the fully imported cars were manual and the chassis would have had the brackets for the clutch - most likely removed during it's lifetime. If converted, the chassis rails would probably still have evidence of the lhd steering box/idler arm mounts and inside the firewall may have evidence of welding. You can buy a repro cowl tag from the US and get it stamped as RHD under the accessories - johnonetrillion did it with his 57.

Cheers, Des

Thanks for the info. Cant find any evidence of a conversion, so from what i can determine from the tag.
V = V8
C = Belair
57 = Year
L = Manufacturing plant ( Los Angeles , California )
118530 = Production Number

So i can only assume it was fully imported ?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Do you think that the HM stands for "Holden Melbourne"indicating the plant the car was reassembled ?
I haven't been able to find any numbers stamped on the chassis so maybe I'll look into the range of numbers you have and start from there.
You might be right Dean. I'll send you the measurements of the tag and a couple of numbers from old tags.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks for the info. Cant find any evidence of a conversion, so from what i can determine from the tag.
V = V8
C = Belair
57 = Year

With no evidence of a conversion showing, yes it looks like it is one of the full import cars. Do you know any history of the car? prev registration history etc?

·
Registered
32 Posts
With no evidence of a conversion showing, yes it looks like it is one of the full import cars. Do you know any history of the car? prev registration history etc?

No , not really. But the car has been local to the area for about 30 odd years. So i may be able to track its history somewhat

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
V = V8
C = Belair
57 = Year

I would not think so. The only plants in North America that made RHD were Canada (Oshawa, Ontario) and Tarrytown (NY). And I think the only body shapes produced as RHD were 4-door sedan and 4-door hardtop – excepting maybe some specials for South Africa.

What is the body style of this one?

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
For 57 GM started the numbers at 100001, so your one is #18530 made in that plant.

If the trend for other fully imported cars holds up, it was the early built cars that needed up on ships.

Other tell-tale signs:

Was the car originally an auto?

Check the elements on the dash with a known Australian RHD car.

Check for signs of dash/firewall replacement or cut/shut?

Marks on chassis showing steering box swap (from left).

Des knows more about other details that can flag origin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.