Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started a Project X endeavor.....I have several articles of the first part of series (Aug 65 through May 67) and am looking for the remainder.

I'm scanning in the articles, with the hopes of putting together a DVD with the complete series....So, if you have any Project X articles, I'd be highly interested in using them for the project....You can either scan them in and email to me or send the magazine (or articles) for me to scan and return.

Any contributors will receive a copy of the Project X DVD.

Below is a list of the articles that I've seen online....However, I've found that it is not all inclusive.....Any help will be extremely appreciated. :)

August 65…1st look, Letting Readers know of the plan
July 65…1st Step..Introduction of letting the reader know it is all “theirs” to decide
Sept. 65…Experimental 57 Chevy (Cleaning, detailing, doing bodywork on car…several articles)
Nov. 65…1001 Plans for Project X
March 66…New Wheels for Project X (Cragar S/S)
Feb 67…Project X Goes Racing (quick scan of article looks like 13.36 w/ top end of 103.86)
May 67…Pontiac Rearend swap for Project X
Nov 67..First Tests of Drag Set up for Project X with 292 engine
Jan 68…Low Budget Deep Sump Oil Pan for Project X
Feb 68…Better Performance from Project X (12 sec ET’s)
Mar 68…Part 1 of Drag Tuning Chevy Injectors on the Project X (I do not have this one close by…it may not have had the “photo references”….but April 68 mentions this issue is Part 1)
April 68…Drag Tuning Chevy Injectors (Part 2)
May 68…Ideas for the new 427
Oct 68…New look for Project X (getting body ready for paint) Another article shows a 427 swap into 55-57 Chevrolets…they used the Project X for this
Dec 68…New Look for Project X (Pearlescent Paint job)
March 69…Project X 427 installation
July 69…Project goes racing (new Rat Motor)
Nov 69…A new look for Project X (Tony Nancy Interior) & an article on “de’ buggin” the car for a better top end.
Dec 69…Project X gets a Clutch Turbo
July 70…Project X gets a Detroit Locker
Oct 70…Drag Testing Project X (11 sec. 120 MPH)
July 72…Street Building Project X
Aug 72…More Street Performance from Project X
Nov. 72…Project X Hits the Streets…(nears completion as a street machine)

·
Registered
67,745 Posts
cool pops. :tu

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS Carl.....I scanned my articles and put them on DVD today.....Will have to make and publish a list.....Still looking for more guys :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
David, that is a great idea. I started following Project X when the idea was first conceived in 1965. When I got my first 57, a 210 2 Dr post with a 283 and a powerglide my dream was to build it following the Project X builds. Unfortunately I totaled it on a snow covered back road in the winter of 1966 and never realized my dream. It is to bad that the current owner of Popular Hot Rodding does not do a reprint of the complete history of Project X up to it's current status. I know for one that I would buy it in a heartbeat. Good luck with your project.
Tom

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words Tom.....Still looking for contributors.....However, I do realize it was a long time ago.....I tried contacting Peterson Publishing and got the run around.....I'll pester them again.

Here is the list of articles that I have saved on my computer and on DVD so far....I received these in a package (Series 1), when PHR was offering them many moons ago.....I'm not for sure on the dates.....Best guess is Aug 65 through Nov 67 maybe.

PROJECT X ARTICLES

1.The Countdown
a.The Rolling Laborotory
b.Detailing the Engine
c.Repairing Metalwork
d.Nose the Hood
e.Bumper & Rechroming
f.Perfect Painting

2.1001 Plans
a.The Plans
b.Arm Rest & Windlace
c.Package Tray & Seat Covers
d.Kick Panels & Carpet

3.Installing a HD Clutch

4.Wheels & Tires

5.Dyno Tuning

6.Installing Cam & Lifters

7.Big Heads for the 283

8.Build a Bigger 283
a.Tear Down and Machine Work
b.Balancing a Chevy Engine
c.Adding More Power (the Assembly)

9.Bolt On Equipment
a.Intake Manifold, Carburetor and Valve Covers
b.Headman's New Headers
c.Steps for Sharp Headers

10.Hurst's Bench Seat Shifter

11.Performance Suspensions

12.Drag Racing with the 292 Engine

13.Installing Disc Brakes

14.Installing a Pontiac Rear End
a.Rear End Preparation
b.Rear End Swap

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
All I know is I'd like a copy of that DVD when youre finished. Please post a list of what you have or still need. If I happen to run across any old articles you are missing, I'll send them to you. On another note, wouldn't it be interesting to start a library on old tri-five magazine articles? Feature cars would be nice, but the old tech articles are the ones I'd really love to see.

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I know is I'd like a copy of that DVD when youre finished. Please post a list of what you have or still need. If I happen to run across any old articles you are missing, I'll send them to you.
Rusty.....I listed all the articles I have so far in post #5....Yesterday I received a PM from a member and it looks like he has series #3 of the three part Project X articles that Peterson Publishing put together.....If that is true, all I will need then is to find the articles from the second series. :p3:

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I had a few but I traded my old magazine collection for an electric wiper motor and a deluxe heater set up for my 55

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still looking for section 2 of the series.

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shout Out to Jim

Received a nice package in the mail from Jim, aka Metalman57, today.....He sent me Series III of the Project X articles that I've been rounding-up to put on DVD.....THANKS my friend

Now all I need to find is the articles from Series II....I believe these are most of them:

Jan 68…Low Budget Deep Sump Oil Pan for Project X
Feb 68…Better Performance from Project X (12 sec ET’s)
Mar 68…Part 1 of Drag Tuning Chevy Injectors on the Project X (I do not have this one close by…it may not have had the “photo references”….but April 68 mentions this issue is Part 1)
April 68…Drag Tuning Chevy Injectors (Part 2)
May 68…Ideas for the new 427
Oct 68…New look for Project X (getting body ready for paint) Another article shows a 427 swap into 55-57 Chevrolets…they used the Project X for this
Dec 68…New Look for Project X (Pearlescent Paint job)
March 69…Project X 427 installation
July 69…Project goes racing (new Rat Motor)
Nov 69…A new look for Project X (Tony Nancy Interior) & an article on “de’ buggin” the car for a better top end.
Dec 69…Project X gets a Clutch Turbo
July 70…Project X gets a Detroit Locker
Oct 70…Drag Testing Project X (11 sec. 120 MPH)

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANKS Tim...Will check it out :)

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I now have Series I and III of Project X on DVD.....Have some leads on articles from Series II.....Hope they pan out. :p3:

Once again, if anyone has Project X articles, please let me know.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I will be interested in a final dvd when you get it finished, as I have also always been inspired by Project X. I am actually building what my friends have dubbed "Project J".

I have several copies of PHR, and I will try to find what I can contribute for you.

John

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be interested in a final dvd when you get it finished, as I have also always been inspired by Project X. I am actually building what my friends have dubbed "Project J".
I have several copies of PHR, and I will try to find what I can contribute for you......John
THANKS a bunch John.....Appreciate any help you can offer me. :)

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
David,
Just sent you a PM with articles I have.
Dennis....Thanks for your PM and generous offer.....Looks like you have stuff that I didn't know existed.....Going to be a great DVD, when its finished.....THANKS to a little help from my bowtie-trifive friends :shakehands:

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Found another one!!!
Man that's great Dennis.....We'll have it all soon I hope.....Yesterday I found a recap of Project X in one of my Classic Chevy annual mags.....Scanning it in, as we speak.

If you read the fine print, You'll see the author was Doug Marion....No newbie to the Chevy world. :)

·
51,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dennis (Oldjunkster) is busily learning how to scan things in PDF with his new printer....THANK YOU Sir :shakehands:

Also, just received a PM from another member John (Blown502) with a whole slew of articles:

jan 2008, skunkworks / zl1 returns
mar 2008, c6 suspension
apr 2008, rear 4link
may 2008, devil in the details
jan 2009, driving project x
jan 1992, projects, projects, projects
dec 1993, northwest passage (project x hits the road)
may 1993, proj x returns, part IV
aug 1995, reprint of original story
mar 2004, x gets final touches
feb 2004, creature comforts or horsepower
oct 2003, the history of project x
jan 1993, body off restoration, part I
dec 1978, building a blown 350 chevy
mar 1993, project x returns, part III
feb 1993, project x returns, part II
jul 1965, project x
mar 1968, new hot idea in chevy injectors
apr 1972, project x returns