Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
55 chevy

I am currently looking at a 55 to purchase. The guy will not budge off of 15,000. It is a belair 2-door post with a 235-6 and powerglide. The guy is the second owner and has had it since 1977. It has 68,000 miles on it. The thing is untouched from stock. He had it repainted in 1977. He claims it was never wrecked. It is a complete driver,but it needs new paint and re-chrome. The interior is perfect besides the old car smell. Their is no rust. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a fair price. Thanks Joel

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Welcome

The best way i think to judge, is to compair it to cars of the same make and model that are selling on ebay.

Otis

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Joel, are you after an original/restored tri-five? or planning a modified? If it's original your after then the car your looking at sounds like a good deal. On the other hand if you plan a modified you might find a project car for a little less if it's incomplete (read less drive train). You would be surprised at how much money can be spent tracking down original parts of buying aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. I like stock tri5s, but I do not think I would be haapy driving around a 6 cyclinder with a powerglide. I do agree that this car is the perfect candidate for a stock re-store.This car or a roached out one will,for the most part,have to go thru the same re-store process.I guess I have a hard time buying a basket case,but any un-restored will be a basket case before it is finished.Thanks again.
Big Joel

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Seems high for a 30yr old particial restoration, but all depends on what condition it is now and location. Different parts of the country will be different on price. I've had a 235, didn't like it (it was an unrestored motor and a 3spd). My current car was a 265/PG car and I liked the 2 speed tranny, till the glide went slip slidding away. TH350 is cheaper and almost a direct bolt on with a few mods. Best mod I have done so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After Market Rearends

Mike,
I've been meaning to put a new posi under my 55 and have been looking at buying a complete new chasis with brakes and rearend already installed. What's the best deal you've seen on one these?

Ernie

·
4,460 Posts
Ernie, I will have to think on that. There are several out there. What are you really after? Just more rear? or an upgrade to everything? You can do an awlful nice rear setup and disc all around for half of the cost. But it's what you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replacement Rearend

Thanks Mike. I'm really looking to get the best front end and rear end combo. I think I told you I had already put power front disc brakes on the 55, but I still have the original rear. I bought a Ford 9", but it needs to be cut to fit. Got 3:50 gears in it. I'm just thinking maybe to replace the entire rolling chassis with something snazzy.

Ernie

·
4,460 Posts
snazzy=$$$. I heard long ago horsepower cost money, how fast do you want to go? :eek:
Just kidding. There are lots of options out there. Vette as in C4, Art Morrision chassis etc.
The 9" will give you the strength you need and a 3.50 gear is good as long as it's a posi. It will give you all around driveability.
Just keep in mind that without some serious body mods you won't get a great deal of rubber under it.
I guess what I am saying is if it's power handling your after, the car in it's present form will dictate the limit. The anology I use is why attach a fire hose onto the end of a garden hose. You will only get what the garden hose can supply.
Make sense?
On a personal note, if it were me, I would consider the 9" as my first choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts