Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I installed a pair of horns off a Mitsubishi Endeavor that my son wrecked on my 56' since they were much smaller and very loud too. After installing my Vintage Air, my horn placement had to change and using the stock ones were funky looking. (They by the way point down) Anyway, I started noticing that my blaring horns became Yugo horns...so I jumped them to see which was messing up...it was both of them! I took them off and when I pointed the outlet down...a Tsunami of water came out!! Anyway, after draining them Yugo Specials...I have my blaring horns again!
If you mount your horns facing forward behind the grill...and you wash your car or get in a rainstorm...you will know what Yugo horns sound like! Point them down boys and girls...is the lesson today!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The car that I just bought I found out the horn didn't work.
I heard the horn relay working and I had 12v at the horn terminal so
after testing the horn itself I discovered it was bad.

So I plan on visiting a pull-&-save yard to find a pair of horns.
I don't want a set of beep-beep horns so I'm planning on
looking for horns from an older vehicle.

I don't know what I will find there.
Any suggestions that would sound good
from a junk yard car would be appreciated.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
48,703 Posts
Good point Rod....I hid my little PIAA horns between the front frame rails (pointed down)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ford F-150 Horns are loud, as well as Misubishi horns (Fiamm Horns)

·
48,703 Posts
Demo

·
48,703 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
I optioned for the “beep beep” of an aftermarket chrome small round horn that is similar in sound to a Roadrunner. Or more common to the 40’s & 50’s style truck horn.

I don’t have a habit of horn usage on a normal basis. But it is required for state inspection here. There are no sound requirement as far as I know.

The “beep beep” always gets a smile........

·
Registered
147 Posts
Surprisingly, our 2018 Mazda3 has the loud “normal” sounding horns. Not the “beep beep” of the usual foreign cars. So if you are searching junk yards, these are also an option.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'm partial to the multi-horn setup found in most large Buicks and Cadillacs from the mid-late '70's - 4 horns that give off a substantial and classy sound. Used to pick up a set on any given trip through the local salvage yard...now not as common.
JR

·
Registered
65,649 Posts
good tip about pointing them down, thanks. :tu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts