Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buyer beware,I got sucked into bad deal on misrepresented 55 210 Del Ray 2 dr. sedan on ebay in Rochester,N.Y..Car has 32k miles and described as rust free and stored since 1969.Seller uses crappy pics. to not show any of rust/damage/issues.Looks like car was used in salt water bath test from 55-69,lots of lower rot/rust,door bottoms crispy,rocker panels rotted thru,very soft floor,could not see trunkpan because no keys,I am sure whole underside of car is a rotten mess.I knew I was in trouble minute garage door was opened and got that special smell from a neglected beached rotting hulk that had been sitting on flat tires in very damp garage,real moisture bin for 44 years.Seller is either a real dummy and cannot describe car correctly or just another ebay scammer.Car described as all original,I was not aware that these cars were originally all rotted to death when new? Car is best described as unrestored,just needs everything! Cost me over $200 in fuel and tolls to look at this pile and seller wants to keep my deposit.I am convinced these type of sellers are trying to get buyer to purchase and get car shipped without buyer looking at car.Just wanted to get the word out,:mad:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
He has every right to keep your deposit , on a "Buy it now" basis ; like you said , it's buyer beware . The scammers know what they're doing , and are getting rich off trusting people like yourself . Suspicion is your best ally in the used car biz , unfortunately . If it was a $200-300. expense , chalk it up to a cheap education ; welcome to the car-buying world . If you'd used Paypal , their Buyer protection would resolve the issue and get you a refund on your deposit , if the car was advertised as "rust-free" . Keep your head up . Be safe...Bob.

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts

·
Registered
67,793 Posts
report him and open a case with ebay. :anim_25:

·
Registered
399 Posts
The car was listed as being "ROCK SOLID with NO ROT ANYWHERE!" so it sounds to me like it was not honestly described. Not for nothing but the pictures were horrible and didn't show much at all and before bidding I would either need to see it in person or have MUCH better pictures. :anim_25:
I love how these sellers throw around words like "rock solid, laser straight, original throughout, rust free, low mileage (when you know the odometer has turned over 100,000 miles) and can still keep a straight face. It's everybody's interpretation of what they think they've got I guess. Although I have to agree some are out to simply rip people off.

This is definitely a lesson of hard knocks.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Happened to me in the 80s.....drove to Birmingham to look at a 60 Impala. Frustrating.....:bowtier:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more b/s

Another neato part of story is that I sent seller $500 deposit by bankcheck overnite per his request,a additional $20 down the toilet.Before I bid on car he told me if car was not all he described it to be he would not force the sale so I hit the button.He was upset with bankcheck deposit and told me he wanted postal money order since he does not have a bank account which he never informed me of that.So after pleading with him I offer to take check back when I pick up car and give him the $500 in cash and I can redeposit check.He has e-bay account without bank account?? I doubt it.So deal goes sour because of his misrepresentation of car/rotbox and he refuses to give back the check,guess he found a way to cash check afterall.So it costs me $500 because this guy cannot accurately describe car,not right way to make things right in my opinion.I showed him the problems with car and suggested he should relist it with a accurate description so he would not waste anyone's time like he did to me.He actually was hoping I was going to leave him positive feedback for the stroke job he gave me,yeah right.He relisted car with altered description and never replied to me for answer on sending back my deposit.He had time to relist but no time to answer me so I left my feedback as to how I really feel and opened a dispute with ebay.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The BIGGEST red flag is his buy/sell rating. NEVER----NEVER make any big purchases on anybody with low or in this case 0 rating. The seller has NOTHING to lose. But you do!

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
8 people have bid on it already.Even with his revised description,I believe that there will be another negative feedback coming.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
bad deal will go bad again looks like

looks like his revised listing isnt much differnet from the first and arent those the same pictures? bowtie-trifive

make the trip before you buy or hire someone in the area to check it out first
pictures and some people dont tell the whole story sad but true just my opinon //////////

:gba:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I got burned a few years ago buy a seller with zero feedback. I only got took for $30. Paypal eventually refunded my money. Lesson for me, if they have zero or low feedback, I stay clear.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
more b/s ??

Another neato part of story is that I sent seller $500 deposit by bankcheck overnite per his request,a additional $20 down the toilet.................. I can't believe you sent off a cheque for $500. without even laying eyes on the car . To me , that's the b/s part . Sorry for your misadventure , but education is expensive . You should ALWAYS use Paypal , if just for its Buyer protection . You'll be better prepared next time . Be safe...Bob.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
First time I have ever seen a seller with a negative feedback rating!

At least your feedback comments are now visible to other bidders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more stroking

Yes get ready for more misery,have been contacted thru email by 2 other bidders that wanted story on car. One guy is from Rochester where car is from and seller surprisingly does not have time to show car,he just does not want buyer to see the misrepresented rot box he is peddling.He opened up an unpaid for item thru e-bay against me,I wouldn't want the car if he gave it to me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yes,a real shit head that has no clue how to describe a vehicle correctly.He was able to some how delete my negative feedback.He has been on ebay since 06 and now is back to a 0 for feedback.Would like to know how last winning bidder enjoyed getting stroked on that rot box.

·
Registered
113 Posts
55 dummy, thanks for posting the original warning about the car. It saved a lot of people from pursuing it further. I just hope someone doesn't pay the full amount for it without first inspecting the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Yes,a real shit head that has no clue how to describe a vehicle correctly.He was able to some how delete my negative feedback.He has been on ebay since 06 and now is back to a 0 for feedback.Would like to know how last winning bidder enjoyed getting stroked on that rot box.
He can have the feedback removed one of several ways. If I had to guess he reported to Ebay that you didn't pay for it. He sounds like a real POS! Read the link I posted below.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Even in his wording he sounds like a douchebag.....maybe the next person to buy it willl stuff him in the trunk (alive of course haha) when they view it and see all the lies he told.:mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts