Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for lowering springs for my '56 Bel Air.

Who makes the best lowering springs, and what drop rates have you seen? I've seen anything from 1" to 2" of drop ratings by lowering springs alone.

What lowering springs are most commonly used and who makes lowering springs with the most rated drop?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
ESPO out of Pa. 1 1/2" front lowering springs that lowered my stock car by 1 9/16", close enough. Their springs are properly wound, reduced pitch at the last coils and clocked ends to fit the pockets like originals. Most big name makers don't do all of that they just cut stock springs for you. Made in the USA, talk to Laura, I don't have any connection except I got mine there and they work great for a low cost. Their rear leafs are just as nice too.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,184 Posts
ESPO out of Pa. 1 1/2" front lowering springs that lowered my stock car by 1 9/16", close enough. Their springs are properly wound, reduced pitch at the last coils and clocked ends to fit the pockets like originals. Most big name makers don't do all of that they just cut stock springs for you. Made in the USA, talk to Laura, I don't have any connection except I got mine there and they work great for a low cost. Their rear leafs are just as nice too.
X2 on CJ's advise...Bought mine from there and went in with no problem....Good people to deal with as well.

·
12,256 Posts
Since I cut them and installed them, they appear to have sagged, so my frame only about 2.5" off the ground now. It looks good, but it's too low.

The goal is to raise the car a good inch from where it sits now.
How much did you cut off? People say one coil from each end will lower the car 2". If you cut 2 coils from one end you get more drop. Lots of guys have done this with success.

Cutting a coil from each end will only slightly increase the stiffness of the ride, since those coils are not totally active.

I think these "lowering springs" are a shot in the dark. Some claim no lowering at all with them others have claimed too much lowering.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much did you cut off? People say one coil from each end will lower the car 2". If you cut 2 coils from one end you get more drop. Lots of guys have done this with success.

Cutting a coil from each end will only slightly increase the stiffness of the ride, since those coils are not totally active.

I think these "lowering springs" are a shot in the dark. Some claim no lowering at all with them others have claimed too much lowering.

I only cut one coil. The guy I bought the car from said the springs had not been cut, but I question that.

Have you ever tried cutting 1/2 a coil? Seems like going from one coil cut, to two cut coils might be too big a step.

I thought I'd now try lowering springs and go from there. Getting the perfect ride height with decent ride quality sure takes some work.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Are you talking about a car that has 2" dropped spindles already or onlt work on the springs. I just installed 2" dropped spindles and I would like my car a little lower but don't know how to accomplish this.
Alan

·
Registered
770 Posts
Wow nice car and great stance...i guess too low to drive tho? here is mine with 2" drop spindles, 2" drop springs with 1 additional coil cut, then had to add back in a 5/8" coil spring spacer to make it driveable regarding fender rub. What size tires are on the front and what backspace are your wheels?

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow nice car and great stance...i guess too low to drive tho? here is mine with 2" drop spindles, 2" drop springs with 1 additional coil cut, then had to add back in a 5/8" coil spring spacer to make it driveable regarding fender rub. What size tires are on the front and what backspace are your wheels?
Thanks. That was the first photo I've posted. Just "finished" the car.

Lowest point is about 2.5 off the ground. Too low, but it does look great.

19x8 front with 225/40/19, 20x8.5 rear with 255/35/20 rear (might move up to next tallest NT05 the 255/45/20). Backspace is a long story, but front is 5" total, back is 4.75".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts