Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

LS Alternator & Power Steering Pump bracket

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  WagonCrazy 
#1 ·
Kind of an update here, on my 57 Nomad C4suspension+LS1+T56 build...

Once the C4 power steering rack was put in place in the cradle, and the 2002 Camaro LS engine bolted down to the new mount perches, it was apparent that there was interference between the (low mounted) alternator body and the rack. Just too tight in there.
So...it meant moving the alternator up about an inch.

Since it meant moving the alternator, I decided to swap positions with the PS pump and put the alternator at the top, and the PS pump down low. Also needed an idler pulley in there too...

So I came up with a new mount made of 3/8" 6061 aluminum plate, and also 1" 6061 solid round bar stock that was drilled and tapped for the metric mounting bolts.

What you see in the pics is still very crude, and needs to be welded (bar stock to the flat plate), the edges need to be contoured and sanded cleaner, and the whole thing powdercoated, etc...but both components seem to fit well. I was able to use the stock Camaro idler pulley/mount by cutting portions off it's base. The plan is to incorporate an aftermarket PS Pump tank somewhere in this configuration if I can get it to fit. Then I will get it all powdercoated (and re-coat the black AC compressor mount on the left side) with kind a sliver-aluminum color. (no polishing!).

I also need to find a 96 inch long serpentine belt...

See less See more
#7 ·
Yeah :eek: One very burnt up jigsaw and some metal blades. After a while, those metal blades would just clog from the aluminum, so I reverted to using very skinny fine tooth wood cutting blades. About tore up my arm, but that cut right thru the thick aluminum.

Definately needs to be cleaned up and even cut down to remove just a bit of excess material when all said and done.

I need to find a local person who can do the alum welding to get these to that point of final cleanup.

One foot in front of another here. Trying not to trip. :sign0020:

#10 ·
Another update:
This thing took a 101" belt! Man...was I waaaaay off. Took a few "exchanges" with a local parts house to get the right one.

Also wanted to post a pic of the plumbing that I had to do to get the PS pump and the rack together. Took a 16mm x 1.50mm banjo bolt to 6AN, then a 90 degree 6an fitting then a special rack oring to 6AN fitting + a 45 dgree 6AN fitting. And then some high pressure PShose. You'r looking at about a hundred dollar hose!

Now...onto finishing up this bracket so I can get it powdercoated and permanently mounted and move on.

I still need to figure out a PS reservoir, and I'd ideally like to have one in that "space" abvoe the PS Pump and below the alternator. But I havent found a premade reservior that fits, so I might just make one up out of aluminum...

#12 ·
2250 psi rating stamped right on the hose. And the inner flange of the fitting sticks inside about 1/2 beyond the end of the outer nut you see. They were a motha to put on...I sure hope they hold.

#15 ·
Mine is..

a Quik Performance brkt... it looks just like the 1 in the picture. U still have to buy the tensioner.

#16 ·
Russman,
The A/C bracket was custom made by the previous owner many years ago now. It fits that AC compressor in there pretty tightly...so I wanted to match that look with the alternator on the other side...to better balance the motor. There's a ton of room in the engine compartment of these tri-5's so it may look empty when it's all said and done...but I plan to make some custom coil covers to sit on top of the valve covers (painted/airbrushed), and that will help fill up the space a bit more.

I found someone local to weld up the alternator/pspump bracket I made. Here's some updated pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.