Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the driveline angle is important for the u-joints, but does it matter for LS engines as far as the fuel system, oiling, etc?

I saw a very high end trifive at a local show and it had an LS and an aftermarket frame.
The odd thing is that the LS engine seemed to lean back pretty far and I was wondering if the engine angle really matters when using an LS?

Also, how do you set the engine angle when using an LS? I understand with Gen I engines and the carb mounting surface.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The angle difference isn't going to be large enough to impact fuel or oil. Oil pickup is in the rear of the pan, and fuel is pressurized. The valley cover would be a good spot to set a level.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
I agree with Charlie. just make drive line ange correct . it is all that matters.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, i couldn't really think of a solid reason that the angle would matter other than the drive line angle.

Still can't understand why that $$$ car had the engine tilted so far back....It just looked a bit strange. Maybe it was to help with trans tunnel clearance....

·
Registered
38,748 Posts
As said, the drive line angle is most important. 4 degrees down is typical. Chevy built their engines around that, but it's not that critical.

Carbs aren't all that critical, just set the float correctly. Fuel injection could run upside down.

I've had a dragster that had the engine down in front 2 degrees or so, it did fine.

I think if you saw an engine swap where the angle looked exaggerated, it probably was. If you put the front of the engine too high, too much angle is a cure for the bad trans tunnel clearance that results (but not really the correct cure).

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,678 Posts
The fuel injection doesn't care, it will run upside down. You won't beable to set it at to much of an angle to effect the oiling in a trifive. I would be more worried about auto trans pan being level as well.

But as mentioned by other, set it to the drive angle needs. I always level off the valley cover or even the fuel rails is quick and easy. If you used a CV joint then you can set it at any angle as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.