Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i am planning ahead for a LS engine swap. What are yall using for the exhaust manifolds? The engine i am going with is the truck/suv 5.3. Need to figure out and decide whether to use the stock manifolds, if possible, or find which headers work. Still have the trans frame horns in mine.
Terry

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I used the stock manifolds on the 6.0 truck engine.
I milled the dr side manifold at an angle, to get added 500 steer box clearance.
I cut the flange .080 at the top, & .150 at the bottom. Still plenty of meat to bolt it up, using the MLS factory gasket.
I also spent an hour w/ the 4.5" grinder and cut the "nubs" off, polished the castings, and had them ceramic coated.
I also re-used the stock head pipe flanges as they have a neat o'ring seal arrangement. The rest of the system is 2.5" s/s tubing, hooked to a Pypes exh/x pipe set up.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You make life alot easier for yourself with alot more choices if you lose the frame horns...

Charlie

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a set of cast iron manifolds from a '99 Silverado truck with a 5.3, if you're interested.
I bought a wrecked tahoe with a 5.3, complete so i have the cast iron manifolds. That is why i am planning ahead. Thanks Laszlo for the thought.
Terry

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sanderson headers were the only ones I could find that would clear my steering box. They're shorties and probably not much better than the stock manifolds but those wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
do you guys think the stock 6.0 manifolds would clear the original steering box? im using cpp side mounts and the adapter plates from fleabay.

·
Registered
865 Posts
LS-1

Try calling Mark at S&P Performance. He has most of the parts for this swap 479-394-5711. Tell him Michael from Portland sent you. He is the owner and very Sharp !! I used his headers.

Be sure to let him know if you are intend to install a Rack & Pinion steering set up, the header are different. Try Dutchman's Motor Sports in Portland for the R&P or rear end / axle needs.

He is usually swamped his calls. So if you have to leave a message, leave
it with Dorina, she will make sure he gets it.

If you install a Tremic 6 speed let me know. We have the Hydraulic Clutch
kit with a modified Vette Master cylinder. The LS swaps are a bit of work but it will be worth it.

Questions, send me an email, be glad to help out.
\
Michael......................

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How good are the Sanderson headers?
Sanderson headers are generally known as top notch products from everything i have read on them.
Terry

·
Registered
186 Posts
55delray:
Can't answer your question directly. but I can show you some pics of my 2002 LS1 (5.7 litre) with stock manifolds, in a 57 frame, with custom made side mounts and a CPP500 steering box. It was a tight fit...

I am not running this whole setup anymore...as I've moved the LS1-T56 into another tri5 LaszloBilt frame with a C4 rack and pinion setup, and gone to long tube headers.

but these pics are what I started out with, when I bought the Nomad about 3 years ago. It did fit...but the clearance from the exhaust manifold to steering box was about 1/8 inch, and the O2 sensor was hitting the steering box...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts