Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a 5.3 LS 4l60e in a 1956 wagon with a Speedway swap system and I'm curious as to the average space between the left head and the firewall. I seem to have a 1/4" or so. I know the motor doesn't move front to back and it appears I have a lot of space to work with in the front but curious what everybody else measures.
Thanks.....

·
Registered
36,976 Posts
What is your head to firewall clearance on the passenger side? That's going to be the closest place. My car has about 1/2" (approximately the thickness of my finger).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your head to firewall clearance on the passenger side? That's going to be the closest place. My car has about 1/2" (approximately the thickness of my finger).
Seems my left side (driver) is the closest at a 1/4 "..
The reason I'm asking is at this point I can get a set of adjustable mounts and fix b4 i go to far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple photos of the right & left head to firewall clearance my engine is 3/4" forward using adapter plates & unknown standard side mounts that were in the car with a SBC when I bought it.
Just to be sure, Its hard for me to tell for sure by the photo, but your saying you have 3/4" clearance from the head to the firewall? At this point no hose of any kind will go between my head and firewall... Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At this point mine will work but could be an issue for the coil packs and booster clearance.. I'm just wanting to run this by this group to stave off any problems I'm not thinking about. "You don't know what you don't know"...

·
Registered
36,976 Posts
It just needs a bit of clearance - 1/4" to 1/2" - on both driver and passenger side. Going farther forward might create a clearance problem up front with the accessory drive, fan(s), and intake tube.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
At this point mine will work but could be an issue for the coil packs and booster clearance.. I'm just wanting to run this by this group to stave off any problems I'm not thinking about. "You don't know what you don't know"...
As long as the head clears the firewall with out touching your OK 1/4'' is plenty, then coilpacks will be an issue with most stock mounts, you may or may not have to move or mod the back coil pack, worst case simply move the coil pack itself or all of them via remote mount or use an intrograted valve cover mount too tons of ways to go. Your booster type and will effect clearing the coil packs as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It just needs a bit of clearance - 1/4" to 1/2" - on both driver and passenger side. Going farther forward might create a clearance problem up front with the accessory drive, fan(s), and intake tube.
As long as the head clears the firewall with out touching your OK 1/4'' is plenty, then coil packs will be an issue with most stock mounts, you may or may not have to move or mod the back coil pack, worst case simply move the coil pack itself or all of them via remote mount or use an interrogated valve cover mount too tons of ways to go. Your booster type and will effect clearing the coil packs as well.
Seems I'm good then...In reading the LS Forumns there were all kinds of mounts and seems every one of them were either the best or the worst with the exception of the Williams Mounts. I just picked the Speedway mounts for ease and price and would adjust with sliders if needed.
I kinda knew about the coil packs, valve covers. Just wanted conformation that that was all and I wasn't forgetting anything. I certainly don't want it to far forward as Rick reminded about the intake tube and fans. The coil pack might be a issue but a simple bracket will move it forward as needed. Thanks to all that replied or looked..

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
Seems I'm good then...In reading the LS Forumns there were all kinds of mounts and seems every one of them were either the best or the worst with the exception of the Williams Mounts. I just picked the Speedway mounts for ease and price and would adjust with sliders if needed.
I kinda knew about the coil packs, valve covers. Just wanted conformation that that was all and I wasn't forgetting anything. I certainly don't want it to far forward as Rick reminded about the intake tube and fans. The coil pack might be a issue but a simple bracket will move it forward as needed. Thanks to all that replied or looked..
What coil packs do you have and what mounts truck or car? Most mounts can be easily modified.

The LS9 valve covers have imounts built in an tuck them tight.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I don't think I have 3/4 between the head & firewall closer to 1/2 I stated the engine is mounted 3/4 " forward from stock that's is accomplished in the adapter plates which have 3 sets of holes for a standard SBC motor mount.

·
Registered
36,976 Posts
FWIW my car was set up for an SBC with 3/4" forward side mounts. I used a pair of Hooker LS adapter plates that are 1-1/4" forward with those existing mounts.

I misspoke earlier when I said the head had 1/2" clearance to the firewall. It's actually 1/2"
clearance from the LS3 coil pack bracket to the firewall. Small difference but there is one. As discussed, the coil pack could have been moved over but it wasn't necessary for me.

·
Registered
1956 Belair 2Dr Sdn
616 Posts
I used adjustable mounts which moves the engine foward and back about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. They are made by LSX innovations. Mount.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rick, after looking I admit you are correct that the head on the passenger side is further back than the driver side. But there is a indentation in the firewall that allows for more clearance than the driver side so I really didn't see the difference. I knew the difference on a SB but for some reason I thought it was opposite on a LS.. My mistake.. .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used adjustable mounts which moves the engine foward and back about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. They are made by LSX innovations. View attachment 333393
Right now it seems the steering box is between the exhaust tubes and looks good. I'm really close on the left side firewall but if I can get the coil packs to clear the booster with a little engine movement I'll think about leaving as is. I have looked at these mounts and was considering them.. I think I like this style than those with slots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts