Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-
So I have a gen 3(2002) LQ9 from an Escalade, mounted to a 4l80e transmission. I’m also running ultimate headers. I ordered a starter from summit that can be clocked in different positions. The problem is when I have it clocked to avoid the headers, it hits the crank sensor. I was thinking of getting a starter without the solenoid attached but haven’t found any that will work.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,507 Posts
send the headers back they were not made correctly. they should clear the stock starter just fine.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,366 Posts
Hello all-
So I have a gen 3(2002) LQ9 from an Escalade, mounted to a 4l80e transmission. I’m also running ultimate headers. I ordered a starter from summit that can be clocked in different positions. The problem is when I have it clocked to avoid the headers, it hits the crank sensor. I was thinking of getting a starter without the solenoid attached but haven’t found any that will work.
Please link the headers you have a well as starter. The car starters were pretty small and usually fit most any headers.

Also pictures of starter hitting the headers will help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Which starter did you get? I've seen one where the starter solenoid is larger than the stater motor. Like this. CVR 5414 CVR Protorque Starters | Summit Racing
Why they would a starter like that is beyond me, I can't see how you'd get more clearance. If any thing you'd lose clearance.
If you have the one with a smaller solenoid, maybe flipping it so the solenoid is at the bottom will give you clearance.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
The only headers I see on Ultimate's site listed for trifive Chevy's are the headers designed to work in an Art Morrison chassis. Is that what you have? If so, I'd be calling Art Morrison, if that is where you purchased them from. Those are high dollar headers, I would think they would fit beautifully. We need to see which starter you have, and pics of the interference.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ultimate's site sucks if you're looking for trifive headers... they do have headers for trifives with stock frames.
They are hard to find on the site, but they are there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,507 Posts
Thank you all for the help- turns out that the mini starter I got from summit wasn’t so mini. I got an original starter for the engine and it fit with tons of room.
truth be told the stok LS accessories and such are pretty dam good parts compared to most of the aftermarket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts