Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS
I`M THINKING REAL SERIOUS ABOUT PUTTING A LS3 MTR. IN THE 56 BELAIR
WHICH TRANS,THE L60 OR THE L80 WOULD BEST TO USE TN THE 56.THE MTR.IS THE 480 HP VERSION.

THANKS AGAIN
DON GREG
1ST,CAV

·
Registered
37,219 Posts
If you are going to drive it really hard, the 4L80E (or a similar 6 speed) is what you want. In old school terms, it's roots are in a TH400.

Otherwise, a 4L65E or 4L70E is fine. LS3 sits on that wide gray line. Again in old school terms, those transmissions' roots are in a TH350/700R-4.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the LS3 in my 55 with the 4L65e tranny. I have the Corvette version with 436 HP and have no problems to date. I mainly cruise but had a couple of track days as well.

Gobs

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
How to install a 4L70E without a computer shift control???

If you are going to drive it really hard, the 4L80E (or a similar 6 speed) is what you want. In old school terms, it's roots are in a TH400.

Otherwise, a 4L65E or 4L70E is fine. LS3 sits on that wide gray line. Again in old school terms, those transmissions' roots are in a TH350/700R-4.
Rick, I've seen several rediculous ways around PC control for shift tuning either of these behind an early model BB with no computer harness, so curious if you or any of you other Tri-Fiver's know any viable method getting around the use of a computer for shifting???

The 5 spd Tremec has embarrassed me for the last time :banghead: and I'm ready to yank it out and go with a good stout Automatic. Apparently the Tremec can't handle the torque my 598ci is putting out. Get down on it, and it hangs in whatever gear you happen to be in at the time... and I have to pull the top plate to access the shifting rods to kick it back into neutral every stink'n time...so I'm DONE WITH IT!!!

Anyway, I've heard a lot of good things about the 4L70E, and since you mentioned it, let me know if you have any ideas getting round the computer. Or, if there is no way, what do I need to get to make it work??

With my current setup, I know it'd be a lot less painless to stick with a manual, so if I can't come up with a good solution to get around the computer for the Auto and if I decide to stick with a manual, I'm thinking of taking a close look at the TR6060 6 spd...:tu

Any advice or other recommendation would be much appreciated, I really need some help here... thanks!!!

BDR...:cool: (sorry Don, not meaning to steal your thread...)

·
Registered
37,219 Posts
Rick, I've seen several rediculous ways around PC control for shift tuning either of these behind an early model BB with no computer harness, so curious if you or any of you other Tri-Fiver's know any viable method getting around the use of a computer for shifting???
Far as I know you need a computer controller to operate any "E" type trans. I can't even imagine how ridiculous the "ridiculous ways" are.

A six speed is a viable option for you too. Biggest thing is you'll need some trans tunnel mods to have it clear. There's a current ongoing thread about that (PDQ55).

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,999 Posts

Anyway, I've heard a lot of good things about the 4L70E, and since you mentioned it, let me know if you have any ideas getting round the computer. Or, if there is no way, what do I need to get to make it work??
I would not run a 4l60/70 with a BBC the torque alone will kill it. So a 4l80 is a better option. Pretty much you could swap it to full manual valve mod but then you would have to shift it manual each time. Now you can get standalone computers for it for $600-700.
http://www.usshift.com/index.shtml?gclid=CLSgjsyGuaoCFQRtgwod7V4W7w

The TR6060 would be great as well.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Don- I went with the 430 HP in my 55 with the 4L60. I was going to get the 480 HP, but heard some guys took the cam out because it was too rough an idle. Those could have been with Tremecs though, I don't know. Bo is much more knowledgeable on LS stuff. In the end I thought 430 HP was enough.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,999 Posts
Don- I went with the 430 HP in my 55 with the 4L60. I was going to get the 480 HP, but heard some guys took the cam out because it was too rough an idle. Those could have been with Tremecs though, I don't know. Bo is much more knowledgeable on LS stuff. In the end I thought 430 HP was enough.
The cam has the loppy hot rod idle to it or rough as some say. Not bad though.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
control of E type auto trans

in my searching, I've ran accross few controllers.
comp u shift
TCI / B&M
Simple shift
Hughes is developing their own
original diesel controller (used in vans etc)(GM)

so there is a selection, BUT..........
none are cheap! ( $550 and UP)

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
.....'You might be a ******* if...' by Jeff Foxworthy

Far as I know you need a computer controller to operate any "E" type trans. I can't even imagine how ridiculous the "ridiculous ways" are.

Hey thanks Rick, I'll check out that other thread, but thought you an all you other tri-fiver's round this beautiful world of ours might enjoy one of them ridiculous ways I mentioned that Rick is referring...i.e. how to shift an "E" type trans without a computer.... well, anything is possible I guess...:p3:

...but talk about a new line for Jeff Foxworthy when he says...

"You might be a "Red-Neck" if you use 2 or more 'household' light switches to manually shift your "E" type transmission....:sign0020:

Get a load of this!!!! :sign0020: Now I HAVE seen it all... just Check out the video below, skip to the 8 minute mark an you'll see what I mean...:p3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbWf_QsPrw

BDR...:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
I would not run a 4l60/70 with a BBC the torque alone will kill it. So a 4l80 is a better option. Pretty much you could swap it to full manual valve mod but then you would have to shift it manual each time. Now you can get standalone computers for it for $600-700.
http://www.usshift.com/index.shtml?gclid=CLSgjsyGuaoCFQRtgwod7V4W7w

The TR6060 would be great as well.
Hey thanks BO, great information, I checked out the link and if I make the switch, that looks like just the ticket I'm looking for! :shakehands:

Appreciate it!!! I'm sure this will be helpful to others as well!! :tu:tu

BDR...:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts