191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a rule of thumb on horse power rating for a stock:

4L60E & 4L80E transmissions?

Thx

Scott

·
12,256 Posts
Transmissions and rearends really shouldn't be rated in terms of horsepower....it's really torque that matters. That's why the TKO transmissions are rated at 500 or 600 ft-lbs instead of HP.

I don't know what the 4L60 and 4L80 are rated at.

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
I'd say their rating is the rating of the highest hp stock engine that they are used with.

4L80E is significantly stronger than the 4L60E. At what point do you need one? It really depends on how you drive - in other words, how much hp do you use and how often, not what you have.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,344 Posts
What is a rule of thumb on horse power rating for a stock:

4L60E & 4L80E transmissions?

Thx

Scott
The stock 4l60e is good for around 300HP in the trucks and 350hp in a lighter car. I have the GM recommended input torques and HP figures some were but have to look, but that is a good rule of thumb. Also the 4l65 will handle 400hp as well. Its the same as the 60 just has beefed up internals.

I have seen everyday stock trucks with torque management still eat up 4l60's. I really wouldn't use the 60 in a car your going to race or beat on.

Generally the 4.8/5.3l works well with the 4l60's. If you running a 6.0L or bigger then go with the 4l80e

Now that said the 4l80e will handle alot of power. I have see a stock one take 1000hp twin turbo 6.0L with little more than a shift kit. But 500HP easily the rule of thumb with the the 4l80e.

I doubt you would break a 4l80e. :)

although the 4l80 does have a poor first gear and smaller OD than the 60 but will handle lots more power.

If you stuck on the 60 companies like Finish line trans have built 4l60's and 4l65's that will handle 500hp.

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BO thats what I was looking for...

Thanks All

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an LS2 out of a 2006 TBSS. There is a GMC dealer in town that went out of biz and has a few new transmissions. they said they have one 4L80e and six 4L60E's. i told him i was interested in the 4L80 so he was going to verify he had it and contact me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
4l80 is good to about 460 ft lbs. the 4l60 and 4l65 crate trans from chevy are good to about 370 to 380 the 4l70 to near 400 as the tbss had about 400 ft lbs and that's trans was standard. unless your going to drag race with slicks then most will hold up fine. they can be built to hold up to 500 +. i just upgraded my ls2 to an lsx454 with 600 ft lbs and the gm engineers told me that a 4l70 would work fine as long as i ran it with street tires. if i wanted to race it then it would need 5 pinion gear sets, heat treated input and output shafts and 7 plate clutches along with a specific tune.

·
Registered
510 Posts
be careful with a trailblazer ls2. they were a front sump oil pan and on hard launches and some rpms they have been known to suck most of the oil away from the sump and spin #6 rod bearing. i've seen several that happened to and have heard of countless others. you'll have to use a camaro pan or maybe an h3 in a tri 5 so you'll be ok but i would definately inspect the bearings before i started it. just some cheap advice from a bad experience or 2.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The LS2 I have has a cam with a few extra's so i am thinking 500hp. It would be best to go with the stock 4L80 and update the with a new converter and shift kit. I think!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
i'm not sure on a 4l80 but i would give alvin anderson at pcmsforless a call. he's in north carolina and does great mail order tunes to ls engines and the 4l trans. he may be able to just do a tune to your ecm or tcm. he offers several levels for the 4l70. we've had him do some and were very happy with them. (trailblazer ss) he has lots of experience with the tbss as he's owned a couple. turboed and blown. very nice guy and should give expert advice on your combo.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,344 Posts
Also IIR the 06 TBSS LS2 had 24x reluctor wheels. not sure if the ECM and TCM will work with the 4l80. But I would make sure before you bought it.

Also, if it is the 58x late model wheel you could run a 6l80! Be stronger and have a 4:1 first and double OD.

To check you motor see what color the crank trigger sensor is, black is 24x gray is 58x. Its located above the starter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BO it is a 24X with a black connector. so i may have a issue with a 4L80 also???

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,344 Posts
BO it is a 24X with a black connector. so i may have a issue with a 4L80 also???
The sensor on the block itself is black for 24x. The 58x sensor on the block is gray.

It might be a problem tuning wise. I would contact a tuner etc first and see. I can't remember for sure if the 24x ECM/TCM will work with the 4l80. Just double check something to keep in mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts