Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1957 210 2 Door
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Looking for advise from anyone who has completed a LS Turbo conversion. I am getting going on the build in my 57 and looking to capture some lessons learned. I want to do this right!

Any pictures and/or advise from those who have ventured down this road would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
13,889 Posts
Hello, Looking for advise from anyone who has completed a LS Turbo conversion. I am getting going on the build in my 57 and looking to capture some lessons learned. I want to do this right!

Any pictures and/or advise from those who have ventured down this road would be helpful.
I agree with post number 2 not enough info to give you much help. but I would seriously consider going with a aftermarket computer system such as a holley dominator so you can have a boost controller and wide band O2 and be able to make changes easily and on the fly.

·
Registered
1957 210 2 Door
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now I’m planning a 6.0, 4L80, single turbo setup. The car is going to be a cruiser, fuel injection (more than likely a Holley HP management system), power steering, A/C; basically a modern hot rod. I have already completed extensive modifications to the 3rd member; 9 inch, PEM Brute center section, Eaton true track, 35 spline axles, 3:50 gear, 29x12.5 Hoosiers. Basically I’m ready to make some power. There are a ton of forums out there discussing LS turbo swaps, but not a ton dealing with tri-fives.

·
Premium Member
13,889 Posts
If your doing the 4l80 you will need more than the HP controller it can't do transmission control. You will need the Dominator controller. the price difference is about the same as a stand alone trans control, but way simpler to set up in one unit.

Reactions: DHR Darren

·
Registered
36,976 Posts
There are a ton of forums out there discussing LS turbo swaps, but not a ton dealing with tri-fives.
Seems to me that if LS turbo swaps are well known as you say, the only thing about a trifive that's different from other GM stuff is packaging the turbo and exhaust into the body and how much room you have for components. Since a trifive has a bigger engine compartment than most, that makes things easier. Stuff that works in a Camaro, etc. is going to work for the most part. One thing that's going to be different is an intercooler installation, that's pretty much custom for anything.

·
Registered
1957 210 2 Door
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your doing the 4l80 you will need more than the HP controller it can't do transmission control. You will need the Dominator controller. the price difference is about the same as a stand alone trans control, but way simpler to set up in one unit.
Thanks for the feedback! I’m definitely looking to keep the setup as straight forward as possible and having one controller seems the way to go. I did see your post on the installation in your 56” very clean! I will definitely mount the controller inside the car as well.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have built & had many turbo & turbo LS combos.
If it is going to be a cruiser I would go with a PT7675 CEA, use hooker turbo manifolds (you want to retain heat in the hot side) go with the Holley Dominator or Haltech whichever you have the best local tuning support for. (Holley I bet) Mount the turbo in the passenger side of the core support. You will offset your radiator to the drivers side about 7-8" and have all the room you need. It will take 84# injectors for the potential of that turbo and use a good in tank pump. As for regulators I have had best luck with Aeromotive and for your convertor go with PTC, Yank or Camerons.
Your 3.50 gear will work just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts