Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a friend that is going to put a LS 1 (2001) in a 57 Chevrolet with a 6 speed manual trans. Where does he go for his motor mounts?

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Well,

Have a friend that is going to put a LS 1 (2001) in a 57 Chevrolet with a 6 speed manual trans. Where does he go for his motor mounts?
there are adaptors that mount to the side of the engine (LS) that accept the standard SBC type mounts. The decision has to be made regarding how far forward the user wants the engine. Speed and Performance, AME and many others offer all of the parts. There is also the option of using the "Biscuit" stock type mounts, again offered by most of the major suppliers.

There is a large amount of planning that needs to take place along with parts to be acquired for proper mock up and finalizing position. Steering types/boxes, Headers - all of it needs to be on hand to really do it correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LS1 MOUNTS

NICK,
Thanks a bunch for the info and insight. I have passed this on to my friend and he said thank you.
He will join this site tonight and another guy in on this will probably join the site tonight, so maybe there will be a couple of new folks from Texas joining up. Thanks again for the quick come back :)

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Taking your lead Terry,

Site sponsor BRP also offers a bracket kit to install the LS engine into a tri five. Might check into those.
Terry
has anyone here used the BRP Headers (LS), # MR45616? If so, any pictures?

·
Registered
75 Posts
LS1 Engine Placement

Can the LS1 engines be mounted to stock SB locations without firewall interference? Or do they have be been repositioned forward of the stock mounts? The existing mounts in my 55 have been slid forward 3/4".

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
This is a point of confusion when comparing traditional V8s to LSx engines.

If you look at the back of the block on a traditional SBC or BBC, there is a "shelf" (for lack of a better word) forming the bellhousing mating area that's about 2-1/2" deep. This "shelf" is almost non-existent on an LSx. It's 1-1/2" to 2" shorter, don't know the exact number off the top of my head.

So we have a real problem here with the point of reference when you say "stock location". Is that stock location's reference "where it used to be", or "where it is now"?

Keep in mind also that the distance from the bellhousing mating surface to the flywheel mating surface is also different between the traditional and LS engines.

If you put the back of the passenger side head on an LSx engine in the same place as it was with a traditional small block, all will be well. Some may call that 1-1/2" forward, others may call that "stock".

There are lots of 3/8" thick adapter plates on the market. They use the same side mounts that you can add to a 55-57, and the same rubber/steel mounts. Some are described as "stock location", "1 inch forward", etc. But the suppliers don't give you a reference.

So, you are left to buy someone's whole package, and trust them - or to figure it out for yourself, and get it the way you want.

I've never seen a complete listing of whose plates really do what relative to anyone else's. Maybe somebody could fill in some blanks here if they have that knowledge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is a point of confusion when comparing traditional V8s to LSx engines.

If you look at the back of the block on a traditional SBC or BBC, there is a "shelf" (for lack of a better word) forming the bellhousing mating area that's about 2-1/2" deep. This "shelf" is almost non-existent on an LSx. It's 1-1/2" to 2" shorter, don't know the exact number off the top of my head.

So we have a real problem here with the point of reference when you say "stock location". Is that stock location's reference "where it used to be", or "where it is now"?

Keep in mind also that the distance from the bellhousing mating surface to the flywheel mating surface is also different between the traditional and LS engines.

If you put the back of the passenger side head on an LSx engine in the same place as it was with a traditional small block, all will be well. Some may call that 1-1/2" forward, others may call that "stock".

There are lots of 3/8" thick adapter plates on the market. They use the same side mounts that you can add to a 55-57, and the same rubber/steel mounts. Some are described as "stock location", "1 inch forward", etc. But the suppliers don't give you a reference.

So, you are left to buy someone's whole package, and trust them - or to figure it out for yourself, and get it the way you want.

I've never seen a complete listing of whose plates really do what relative to anyone else's. Maybe somebody could fill in some blanks here if they have that knowledge.
The stock location for the engine mounts I was referring to, are the mounts where the small block was originally located. If the LS engines lack the "shelf" you were referring to, and is shorter, that would put the engine right up against the firewall. I have not tried any mockups yet, because my car is in one location, the engine in another, and me in yet another.....I am in the planning stage.

Thanks for your input Rick. I welcome others.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
The stock front engine mounts pretty much have to go to install an LSx, because of the way the belt driven accessories are mounted. There's just no room for those kind of mounts and the accessories too. Plus there's no easy way to mount the brackets to the front of the block, if the accessories were to be relocated up higher like some of the aftermarket drives do.

·
Registered
865 Posts
LS-1

We have the Hydraulic Clutch Kit using the Vette master
cylinder and slave on 6-speed Tri-5 installs.

No mod's are required to the clutch pedal and other components.

Send us and e-mail when your read or need inormation.
Please include your phone number.

Michael.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I used the S&P mounts and found the back of the engine, while not up against the firewall, too close to leave as is, so I added a recessed firewall as well.

Charlie

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
That's the thing, if there was a good accurate list of whose stuff put it where, you'd be able to avoid having to make mods like that unless you wanted to for some other reason.

Somewhere I have a set of drawings for the 3/8" thick adapter plates that I downloaded from ls1tech.com. I could change the design to put the engine just about anywhere within reason, but the trouble is, I don't know what the "reference point" is on that set of drawings. So I'd have to build a set, or at least make some cardboard mockups, to know where I stood with them. But if you have the means to make your own, a set of cardboard templates, and a mockup in the car, could tell you where you needed to be with a day's work in the shop.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,380 Posts
There are so many different mounts at there. I have had lots of people call me and ask if x mount will clear Y oil pan or accessories etc... And all I can tell them is you really need to mock everything up, things will need to be adjusted.

But if you using or already have side mount SBC mounts. The best thing to do it make you own adapter plate that way you can place the motor pretty much anywhere you want.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
One of my winter projects is to do a comparison of the blocks and a couple of the adaptors. I am waiting for my digital height gauge to get back from the repair station. I think it might be helpful. Also, in the interim, anyone having a set of plates they can trace and scan, please send them to me for evaluation. It would help the overall results.

·
12,256 Posts
The stock location for the engine mounts I was referring to, are the mounts where the small block was originally located. If the LS engines lack the "shelf" you were referring to, and is shorter, that would put the engine right up against the firewall.
Where the SBC was located referenced to what? The back of the block where the bellhousing bolts on? That's the reference I would use.

And as you mentioned, if you try to put the LS engine in the same place as the SBC referenced by the bellhousing face, you're going to be into the firewall. I have found that if you put the LS engine 2 1/4" forward of a stock SBC it fits well. That pretty much accounts for the missing "shelf".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts