Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
My son is plumbing his 98 single fuel line LS1 in his 240Z. Dose this setup need a return line? He is using a F body pump in-tank pump.
I assume he is using fuel injection and an ECU too. If so - yes. You have to equalize the tank pressure and the in-tank pump does not do this.

There is only 1 line to the fuel rails, so this is a common question.

Basic system setup:

Fuel pump - filter - Tee - return back to tank - to regulator - return fuel into tank bottom, where the T has a single line to the fuel rails.

The stock tank and fuel pump should handle up to 600HP.

Hope that helps.

Post some photos, sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
F-body has the return in the tank. Vettes have them externally, off the fuel filter/reg.

·
Registered
101 Posts
F-body has the return in the tank. Vettes have them externally, off the fuel filter/reg.
Chuck,

You are correct with the regulator location between a F-body tank and std. FI tank that requires an external regulator.

Even though the regulator is in the tank with the F-body, the one's I've installed needed a Tee junction for the return. It is not routed in the tank. I just set-up a friends 99 Camero with the F-body tank. The return actually goes to the bucket that the pump is inside, so maybe my routing was not clear. I tap-off the return after the filter (I've also done it before the filter) then back to the tank. Do you have a different experience with these tanks?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Nope. We use the Vette filter, and on the real hipo engines, use the Aeromotive reg, return line, and the Supra intank pump. I'm done w/ Walbros...

·
Registered
38,701 Posts
Beware, if you plumb the fuel lines up without a return line, you must use a stock LS1 pump with built in regulator in the tank. Otherwise you will not have pressure regulation at all. You will build pressure until the pump stalls (and probably blows a fuse or burns up the wire harness).

If you use a typical aftermarket pump, you need the Corvette filter/regulator (easiest way), or some other regulator setup (like one on the fuel rail), and those do require a return line. In the case of the Corvette filter/regulator, since it mounts near the tank, you don't have to run the return line the full length of the car.

I know some of you already know this, but it might clear things up for others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.