Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a heavy H.P. motor for racing. Really drawn to the modern day LSX platform for obvious reasons. Car is set up for race only. Will I be black listed by the "purists"?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,024 Posts
Welcome!!!!
Just don't open the hood. :)

Hey, build it like you want it. It's not for anyone else to decide.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,007 Posts
Looking to build a heavy H.P. motor for racing. Really drawn to the modern day LSX platform for obvious reasons. Car is set up for race only. Will I be black listed by the "purists"?
Its a gm motor i would think one would get more grief over a Ford motor in a trifive lol.

Step in to the LS section an enjoy!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Dan, its your car...... Build it any way you want.

Besides building up lots of Gen. 1 small blocks in '55 - '56 Chevys, I've swapped a 'built' 400 Pontiac, a 413 Dodge and a 454 Chevy big block into these cars over the years. All these engines (even the MOPAR) have as much or more in common design wise with a Gen. 1 small block Chevy engine than do the LS type engines. As far as I am concerned, swapping in an LS engine is no more radical an idea than swapping in one of the new MOPAR 6.1 litre 'hemis'.

Bottom line...... What you put under your hood is no one's business but your own. Unless you're building a show car where other people's opinions factor in during judging...... Build it the way you want it and have fun driving it. If a Cummins turbo diesel and 5-speed manual transmission or one of the old 302 GMC inline sixes or a 292 Chevy inline truck six float your boat...... Go for it! That's what hot rodding is all about.

Seriously...... LS engines are good engines. But just as with all other engines, they have their strong points and their weak points and in a racing environment, you will soon discover and need to address them.

If you are going to race the car, first look at the track rules. Then after picking a class to run in, look closely at the cars that are consistently winning in that class, then work out a plan of action regarding how you can build yours to successfully compete with them.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
LSX frowned upon??
Absolutely not!
This is not a Corvette where purists snub a mod like that. Trifive purists and restomod people seem to mingle just fine and LSX installations are universally admired.

The only thing I've seen frowned upon around here are trifive shortys, chops and el caminos.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Absolutely not!

The only thing I've seen frowned upon around here are trifive shortys, chops and el caminos.
They are just so wrong in so many ways:)

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
If you can afford an LSX go for it.You can build your own at the GM plant for $20. something thousand.Where in Florida are you?:sign0016:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback. Since I'm a "newb" I'm going to post some pics in the "Welcome section" if you want to see the car and a little bit of history about it.

If you can afford an LSX go for it.You can build your own at the GM plant for $20. something thousand.Where in Florida are you?:sign0016:
I've researched the LS engines am an prepared to spend 15-20K to get this car where I feel it needs to be. I want to make a statement at the track and I feel this car is unique enough that it needs some local recognition. I will probably need a combination that puts me in the 700+ H.P. range. I'm not opposed to power adders but would like to achieve some nice numbers with motor only.

I'm in Jupiter area. I see you're in Palm City. Not far away. Do you know Matt at Autogeeks? he detailed my Grand National and did a great job.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,007 Posts
I've researched the LS engines am an prepared to spend 15-20K to get this car where I feel it needs to be. I want to make a statement at the track and I feel this car is unique enough that it needs some local recognition. I will probably need a combination that puts me in the 700+ H.P. range. I'm not opposed to power adders but would like to achieve some nice numbers with motor only.
With the GMPP LSx block with LSx heads and a 454ci or large size then 600-700 will be easy to make with motor and that budget. There are lot of options with the GMPP LSx block.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback. Since I'm a "newb" I'm going to post some pics in the "Welcome section" if you want to see the car and a little bit of history about it.

I'm in Jupiter area. I see you're in Palm City. Not far away. Do you know Matt at Autogeeks? he detailed my Grand National and did a great job.
If you are referring to Matt Serra he is now a cop here in Martin co.His father has a red 57 convertible and is a member here.So are you going to race at PBIR?If you are referring to Matt Steele he is one of the hosts of Truck-U on SPEED channel.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The "Purists" just don't get it. If it were not for Henry Ford (flat head V8), GM V8's, Mopar, Edelbrock, Iskenderian, Duntov & all the other forward thinking Hot Rodders there would be little or no Hot Rods. Anything you want in Your car is cool be it stock or bad to the bone. The only thing I don't like are cars with tons of horsepower & never driven hard. But it's their money they can do what they want, thats what makes this hobby.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are referring to Matt Serra he is now a cop here in Martin co.His father has a red 57 convertible and is a member here.So are you going to race at PBIR?If you are referring to Matt Steele he is one of the hosts of Truck-U on SPEED channel.
Yes Matt Serra. We use to both be in an F-body club awhile back. Yeah I'll be racing at PBIR and Bradenton some.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Go for it

The only motor that would po me would be any F(&*. LSX blocks can build great motors.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just finished my build in a 55 which is a race inspired resto mod with a big block 565ci Dart motor. Fully caged and track ready in every sense. I have a fresh N/A all motor big block that pushes just over 700hp and makes 730ft lbs. I added a six speed Tremec this spring and just finished the break in period of the transmission today. While I can really dig this setup, there are times I wish I had of went the LSX route instead. Until tonight that was. About 2 hours ago I went for a visit with a good friend who lives on the south fringe of Calgary (Hwy 22X). He wanted to go for a rip and since everything is now broken in and the trans has some miles on it, I obliged. Lets just say he had a permanent grin on his face after I banged off 4 gears with him in about 10 seconds flat. First time dropping the hammer on it and seeing what 700hp feels like in a classic 55. It was un-freakin believable, and damn fast too! It sure put a feeling of relief that I went the right route with a lot of motor after roasting the car for a quarter mile, but if I were to do it again, I'd build a killer LSX the next time around. Maybe? (lol) :)

Bottom line, I don't think anyone frowns upon a Trifive with an LS setup now days. In fact it's contrary to that where I think a great many people wish they had one in their Trifives. As for purists, they always like purist cars and those are usually the guys who trailer them to points meets and need to have everything showroom perfect for judging. I can appreciate those cars too, but if they don't appreciate mine, that's ok with me, because I love my car and the fact is, it's mine to do whatever I want to do with it. You should do the same with yours and enjoy whatever you want to build and install.

Here's a couple shots of mine before the Weld Wheels go on it for good. Going to finish it off with some Classic RT's and a set of Hoosiers now that it's finished being shown and is now a pure driver car.

PS...welcome to TriFive!

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,007 Posts
The Gen III/IV motor are becoming the "350" of swap engines. It has taken the place of the SBC in most other brand swaps. Like Jeeps and rock buggys. Heck even mustang guys run them.

That said they are bolt in now with no welding needed, just drill a some holes. The prices for the truck motors has really got cheap in the last 5 years.

At some point they will get really dirt cheap, even the car motors. It might be another 5 years as the Gen V (Ecotec3) motors come on line and start getting in the field and their ECM get hacked to facilitate swap for them.

So the future is bright for LS motors. As even though production will end the aftermarket will still support them for years to come.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bottom line, I don't think anyone frowns upon a Trifive with an LS setup now days. In fact it's contrary to that where I think a great many people wish they had one in their Trifives. As for purists, they always like purist cars and those are usually the guys who trailer them to points meets and need to have everything showroom perfect for judging. I can appreciate those cars too, but if they don't appreciate mine, that's ok with me, because I love my car and the fact is, it's mine to do whatever I want to do with it. You should do the same with yours and enjoy whatever you want to build and install.

Here's a couple shots of mine before the Weld Wheels go on it for good. Going to finish it off with some Classic RT's and a set of Hoosiers now that it's finished being shown and is now a pure driver car.

You're car looks amazing. Do you have any interior shots?

The only problem I have with aftermarket engine swapping is if I see a different make in a car. I don't even like it when I see a Chevy motor in another GM model and especially if I see a Ford with a Chevy motor or vise versa. That's ridiculous. If it's a Chevy it should have a Chevy motor, if it's an Oldsmobile it should have an Olds motor....JMO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts