Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to everybody who has a lt1, What mass air flow do you have on your engine or do you have one? I have the air filter assembly that bolts directly to the throttle body and has two screw in holes on the bottom of it for which im guessing is for a mass air flow, but the factory one will not work with this set up. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Why not fabricate a true cold air intake system that incorporates the stock MAF?
That's hands down what I would do.
I've set up many engines with MAF's and did it that way with every one.

·
Registered
37,246 Posts
That's the way I'm doing mine. Elbow on the throttle body, MAF on the elbow just like stock, inline Spectre air cleaner + 4" tubing, tubing routed to a cold air pickup in the inner fender.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree a cold air pick up is best, problem I can't get away from is the piping & elbows just make it look cluttered and sort of as if its a transplant. I want it to look like the engine was meant to be there.

By going speed density you can forget all that stuff, make a cover for the engine and it just looks much cleaner. e.g.

IMG_0695 by c20let, on Flickr

Not saying I like all of the designs but the engine looks integrated in to the car.

Compared to:

Even without a cover if tidy just a filter looks ok

Obviously a mix of different engines but you get the idea.

Still deciding what I want to do for this. I might play around with an engine cover and still incorporate a MAF some how.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I wouldn't ever consider setting one up to take in hot engine compartment air.

No MAF on my Bel Air but that wouldn't change it that much. I fabricated an airbox that fits inside the fender well and the air intake is up behind the headlight.

Here's a mock-up of the pickup I am working on now. I also put an air box inside the fender well but it is one of those Spectre ones. I'll paint this up similar to the one in my Bel Air.

To me, both of these look cleaner than seeing an air filter and to the examples you posted too.

Here's the LT1 in my '83 El Camino SS. It has an MAF and the air box was one out of a '96 Impala SS that I modified for the intake part to be to the side and in front of the radiator.

Here's a shot of my '76 El Camino SS (no longer own) that I put a TPI engine in. The air intake and air box setup is out of a '88 Firebird Trans Am and again the air intake is to the side and in front of the radiator. It has the old type of MAF.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The pipe out of the fender thing is the neatest solution if you want a cold air pick up I guess, I can't think of any other way to do it.

Ideally I'd put the MAF on the fender side, to keep the engine bay clean, but would have to protect it from moisture/dirt etc.

Engine bay hot air pick up is less of a problem over here!

The front of my car is similar to chevynuts (the pic above with engine bay in primer & big block), difference is engine is lower than the front panel, nevertheless I might try and link to that and put a filter/MAF under the front panel and have it scoop up air from behind where the grille is. All depends what space I have there.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
The pipe out of the fender thing is the neatest solution if you want a cold air pick up I guess, I can't think of any other way to do it.
Take a look at this one that Joe Lutz did. I think it's the nicest setup I've ever seen.

CAD model

Engine bay hot air pick up is less of a problem over here!
Unless it's a darn cold winter day, it's hot in an engine compartment. Why choose hot air when you can have ambient?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
The dual snorkel would have to be a SD tune or place MAF after the merge.
A person with an MAF could still take Joe's design and just do one side.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,003 Posts
A person with an MAF could still take Joe's design and just do one side.
Yeah that would work I know there is an example of that in the LS section, with a grille mounted in the rad support. There is also a thread with actual temp data on the differences in temperature. Quite a change with ambient air vs hot under hood air even on a hot day.

·
Registered
37,246 Posts
If you think the engine compartment is uglly, leave the hood down!

Me, I like functional stuff.

Back to the dual tubes, how would a MAF in one tube work? Do you just fool the ECM into thinking that the flow is twice what's measured?

·
Registered
496 Posts

Back to the dual tubes, how would a MAF in one tube work? Do you just fool the ECM into thinking that the flow is twice what's measured?
I'm a bit OCD I think, I just want to hide wires, pipes etc so it looks neat - no idea why! I'd usually think along more functional lines.

I'm going to use that heatshrink stuff as hose clips for radiator hoses so I don't need jubilee clips.

Aisde from putting the MAF at the merge point the only way I can think of doing dual tubes with a MAF is to block off one side ?
In other words its all for looks.

I had thought about doing the dual tube thing (on an SD set up), but going through the inner fenders, rather than coming to the front. Either way thats a nice bit of work from Joe.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,003 Posts

I thought the same thing, but after reading Roger's post I think he meant one tube with MAF and the other a dummy. Little confused I guess.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Aisde from putting the MAF at the merge point the only way I can think of doing dual tubes with a MAF is to block off one side ?
In other words its all for looks.
I had thought about doing the dual tube thing (on an SD set up), but going through the inner fenders, rather than coming to the front. Either way thats a nice bit of work from Joe.
I wouldn't go with a dual just for looks. I like the asymmetrical look too. You could just build Joe's air filter box design for one side only and put your stock MAF in the pipe.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I thought the same thing, but after reading Roger's post I think he meant one tube with MAF and the other a dummy. Little confused I guess.
No, I meant just build one side of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts