Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright I've done a few of these swaps already , seems all have there challenges, but with that being said. I've got a 05' 6.0 that I want to put a 6spd behind. I've found a killer deal on a lt1 style. I know you can put s nv3500 behind one no problem. so with that being said. how about the lt1 style t56? I know you can change bell housings input shafts and change the hydralic system to make it work, but in my case I think there is no real reason to change all that Crap if I don't have to. seems the ram 1550 with ls clutch , spacer, and special pilot bearing would fo the trick. somebody feel me in here before I lose out on a cheap setup thanks in advance

·
Registered
435 Posts
alright I've done a few of these swaps already , seems all have there challenges, but with that being said. I've got a 05' 6.0 that I want to put a 6spd behind. I've found a killer deal on a lt1 style. I know you can put s nv3500 behind one no problem. so with that being said. how about the lt1 style t56? I know you can change bell housings input shafts and change the hydralic system to make it work, but in my case I think there is no real reason to change all that Crap if I don't have to. seems the ram 1550 with ls clutch , spacer, and special pilot bearing would fo the trick. somebody feel me in here before I lose out on a cheap setup thanks in advance
I haven't researched this a lot in the past, but I think you pretty much have to change the input shaft and the bell housing. There's a pretty good write up here:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/ghtp_1203_lt1_t56_adaption_new_version_conversion/

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping somebody has an answer or I'm going to just go buy the tranny and try it, it's cheap enough for a gamble. I would think if you change the bell housing, you would have to change the input, but if you can bolt one of these trannys to a reg sbc should work on ls. I've seen every other one done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I put one behind a first Gen small block. The biggest complaint I have is running exhaust. The LT1 slave setup is directly in the way on the driver side. In had to run the exhaust under the motor and parallel the passenger side exhaust. I lost ground clearence. I didn't have to do any tranny mods to get it to work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put one behind a first Gen small block. The biggest complaint I have is running exhaust. The LT1 slave setup is directly in the way on the driver side. In had to run the exhaust under the motor and parallel the passenger side exhaust. I lost ground clearence. I didn't have to do any tranny mods to get it to work.
Hey did you have the factory style steering box or rack? wondering if that matters

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm hoping somebody has an answer or I'm going to just go buy the tranny and try it, it's cheap enough for a gamble. I would think if you change the bell housing, you would have to change the input, but if you can bolt one of these trannys to a reg sbc should work on ls. I've seen every other one done.
The LT1s used 153 tooth flywheels. The Gen 3/4 engines all have 168 tooth flywheels. The flywheel that you mentioned (Ram 1550) or any other stock type Gen 3/4 flywheel won't fit in the LT1 T56 bellhousing. If you swap the bellhousing to an LS style, it'll be an inch deeper and then the LT1 input shaft will be too short.

There are aftermarket Gen 3/4 flywheels with 153 teeth, but you'll need a different starter as well. I think McLeod will make one for you, but I think the flywheel/starter will set you back about $800. Assuming you bought one, I still don't know that you could just stick an LS1 clutch setup in a LT1 bellhousing. The throwout bearings are different (LT1 is pull type and LS1 is the more conventional push type). I think the throwout bearing difference is why the LS1 and LT1 T56s use different front plates on the transmission (research that part as I'm not sure that's the only difference)

If you absolutely don't want to modify the LT1 T56, you might be able to run a Quicktime bellhousing for the LT1 (Quicktime says it will work with 153 and 168 tooth flywheels but I'd call to verify before buying a $500 bell housing). Then, buy an LS flywheel and have it re-drilled for the smaller LT1 pressure plate bolt pattern. Then, just use stock LT1 clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Keep in mind that I don't know anyone who's done that, but it's the only thing I can think of that might work. The primary problem that I can think of with that approach is that the geometry of the clutch system might not work correctly.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, that was good stuff. idk. I hate to spend the money and not work, or coat as much to just find a ls1 style. May be a bad gamble to try it. Guess my cheap t56 idea is out

·
Registered
51 Posts
It seems like its easier to run an older GEN 1/2 engined 4l60e trans behind the GEN 3/4 engines than it is to use the LT1 T56 behind the GEN 3/4 engines.

Differences between GEN 1/2 engines and GEN 3/4 engine crank flanges.

I think you should read the Carcraft article from this thread that I created from a truck site that I belong to. There is a compilation of parts, places and prices.
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7252

But here is the Carcraft article directly
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0810_engine_transmission_swap_gen_3/viewall.html

Good luck

peace
Hog

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
That's all fine between traditional engines and LS engines.

The LT1 engine is the same as a traditioal engine with a 1 piece rear main seal.

But the LT1/T56 setup is not like anything else - and the info is not 100% covered in the links or previous replies. The problem is that an LT1/T56 setup has a unique pull off clutch unlike anthing else Chevy ever used. I think the only way you get there is to replace the bellhousing with an LS1/T56 bellhousing, and you'll need to swap out the input shaft and related parts. Then you can use an LS1 style clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's all fine between traditional engines and LS engines.

The LT1 engine is the same as a traditioal engine with a 1 piece rear main seal.

But the LT1/T56 setup is not like anything else - and the info is not 100% covered in the links or previous replies. The problem is that an LT1/T56 setup has a unique pull off clutch unlike anthing else Chevy ever used. I think the only way you get there is to replace the bellhousing with an LS1/T56 bellhousing, and you'll need to swap out the input shaft and related parts. Then you can use an LS1 style clutch and flywheel.
You are correct, no GEN 2 applications are covered.
Yes the GEN 1 and GEN 1E and GEN 2 engines have the same trans mounting. Booo on that 93-97 T56 clutch.
I would be looking for a T56 that came with a GEN 3 or GEN 4 engine in front of it. 98-02 F-body or 04-06 GTO or Cadi CTS-V.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are correct, no GEN 2 applications are covered.
Yes the GEN 1 and GEN 1E and GEN 2 engines have the same trans mounting. Booo on that 93-97 T56 clutch.
I would be looking for a T56 that came with a GEN 3 or GEN 4 engine in front of it. 98-02 F-body or 04-06 GTO or Cadi CTS-V.

peace
Hog
Yea thanks for the replies, I've already bought a gen 3 t56. got a while setup for 1100$. good deal. took it to the tranny shop, and it has already been rebuilt. so I guess that was a good score. I think that about everybody that posted something here is right in a way. but the t56 that is behind a ctsv has a fixed out put shaft for irs. so to use it you have to swap shafts and tail housings. still not cheap. if you have to buy a $400 mid plate ,and input shaft, plus all the hydraulics, and a clutch, bellhousing, flywheel, and all the bolt separate, just to convert the lt1 style , it ain't worth the money , unless the tranny was free, or you scoered craigslist and eBay for cheap used parts. thanks guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.