Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I am using chevy rallye wheels that I purchased from Danchuk on my 57.

I have never known what the torque specs are for the lug nuts.

These wheels of course were not standard for my car and my shop manuals do not indicate the torque psi.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Eddie

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Well I'm not sure for steel rally's but my Tahoe uses 80 ft/lbs for Aluminum wheel's and my 72 Chevy truck uses 140 ft/lbs for aftermarket aluminum wheels. I've always just tightened them to feel up until I've got these vehicles.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
lug nuts!!

I think torque should be based on lug dia. not what wheel you are using. 85b ft-lb for 7/16 lugs. 100 ft- lb for 1/2 inch and 12 mm.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
85 ft-lb on just about any steel wheel, 95-100ft-lbs for alum wheels (or specified) and check those often.

·
Registered
36,142 Posts
You guys are WAY overtorqueing these lugs.

65 ft-lbs max for 7/16" (stock)
80 ft-lbs max for 1/2" (big cars and light trucks)
90 ft-lbs max for 9/16" (3/4 ton truck)

If anything you should be torquing those aluminum wheels less not more.

·
Registered
647 Posts
:wavey: Other than making sure the wheels don't come loose, the main reason I torque lug nuts is on disc brake hubs so as to have the torque on each stud not to warp the disc. I rotate my daily drivers wheels about every 7000 miles and torque them to about 100 lbs. My sons 4x4 pickup needs 150 lbs. according to the owners manual. The darn tire shop maxed his out to about 300 lbs. when he bought new tires and he had a flat last winter in about a foot of snow. We got it in my shop (it wasn't flat yet but going down) to put the spare on. We broke one 1/2 socket and bent his big four way wrench jumping up and down on it, before we got the darn thing off. We we took time to rotate all his tires, I used my 3/4 inch socket set. Needless don't recommend that tire shop anymore.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts

Rick the numbers I quoted came from my tire shops, 140 ft/lbs on truck is from Wheel Works truck is 3/4 ton with 9/16" studs, and 90 ft/lbs on Tahoe is from BIG-O Tahoe is 1/2 ton with 1/2" studs. I'm just doing what they said.

·
Administrator
48,747 Posts
On my 1989 Chevy 4x4 pickup the manual called for torqueing the lug nuts on aluminum wheels to 120 ft. lbs. After having one come loose i checked those afterwards at every oil change.
Terry

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Torque

I read a post somwhwere where someone ask an ARP rep. about torquing headbolts for steel or aluminum heads and the rep replied "You are torquing the bolt not the head . Torque as listed on the spec sheet".:happy0030:

·
Registered
36,142 Posts
You are on the right track, 56 owner. And for those who care to check, see what torque is recommended for a 7/16" or 1/2" head bolt or main cap bolt.

You are just going to tear up your stuff unnecessarily by overtorquing.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I also heard that when you are just CHECKING your torque... check it at 80% of torque value.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Wheel lug nuts

Rick, why less on the alumium and how much less?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
You are on the right track, 56 owner. And for those who care to check, see what torque is recommended for a 7/16" or 1/2" head bolt or main cap bolt.

You are just going to tear up your stuff unnecessarily by overtorquing.
Rick L I don't think I'm over torquing them I'm doing what the so called experts suggest. See the attached torque charts, I don't know the exact Alloy or grade of the studs but I'm guessing they are pretty much the higher strength studs.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts